What are these and how do I eradicate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a DIY worm trap similar to the one depicted. I installed it AFTER treating with fenben so all I captured were seed shrimp.
Planaria are very elusive. Even without substrate they will hide in moss, driftwood, or under rocks.
Shrimp and snails were unaffected when I treated with fenben (dosed as directed).

I think I had those a few months ago, I just did frequent water changes and fed less and it irradicated all of them. Also adding a little salt to the tank helped and they were gone in just a few days.

I think they are killing the snails/shrimp in the tank. If I add salt it may harm the snails. I do not feed that much, they are happy to eat my pets.

Got the meds. Had a heck of a time hitting that .1 after grinding it into power. So I dumped it all into water, shook it forever and used 1/10 of it.

Just added it to the tank.

?

No-Planaria is what I used one time, killed them all but warning it will kill any snails. its made for shrimp and fish though.

I pulled the mystery snails out. 1 MTS, 1 Pond and 1 Ramshorn volunteered as test pilots.

No signs of the planaria. If I do spot them and need to treat again...do I just add another dose of meds or do I perform a 50% PWC and then dose,?

No signs of the planaria. If I do spot them and need to treat again...do I just add another dose of meds or do I perform a 50% PWC and then dose,?

Good question , I would do the pre water change just so you don't have any extra meds in the water Column.

I ended up doing a second dose on the second day. Can't recall if I deviated from my regular water change schedule.

I will put in something tasty tonight to see if any worms show up.

Did you use the liquid or powder?

I would have done a pwc so as not double the dose in the water. Sounds like you did much less than recommended though???

After this 24 hours, I would do a pwc and another pwc over 2 days. Then another after a couple days, unless you see more of the little P. creatures. I have read treating 3 times did the job but maybe from Hydra. Doing 25% pwc 4 times still does not mean you have changed 100% of the water. So that's why I would do a bunch more pwc than average and be cautious about multiple dosings.

Hope they are all dead now!

Checked the tank last night before bed. MTS and Pond snail wanted off mission. Moved to a different tank. Shrimp were fine.

Just took a peak with a flash light. Shrimp are doing their shrimpy thang.

Saw 3 live planaria on the glass....

I am going to leave the PWC until late afternoon unless I see distress signals from the shrimp. Lights on in a few hours.

Time to build a trap...

Picked up supplies to build traps. Did my 50% PWC. Used that water and the other 80% of the meds left from the packet to treat the driftwood and lava rock. I think the little hellions are holed up in there. Bare tank, but hey I can see the shrimp.
IMG_8525.jpg

And the plants in their soak and a pump to keep the water moving.
IMG_8526.jpg

Yep all those plants I like to move around are all tied to lava or mopani. Tomorrow I'll drain the meds and soak in treated tap for some hours and then change the water again for more soaking to remove as much as possible before I add the plants back to the tank. We're have margaritas and making traps tonight. Lol

Back
Top Bottom