What breeds of fancy goldfish live together best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarjo Pepper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am already aware that you should not put common/one tailed golds with fancy/two tailed golds as the commons are faster and more competitive for food. I would like to know, within the fancy breeds, which golds will live peacefully with little competition or bullying. I am most interested in ryukins, moors/dragon eyes, and veil tails, but advice on all the fancies is appreciated.
I also like orandas and lionheads but I am concerned about trimming their hoods. :thanks:

I wasn't aware that lionheads and orandas needed their hoods trimmed. My mother has a small patio pond (about 110g) that has several varieties of fancy goldfish in it. I know for certain she has a ryukin and a couple black moors, as well as a couple different types. They all live together peacefully, and all seem to get their fair share of food. How large is your tank? Some of them grow fairly large.

In the future I'll be building a tank that ends up either 160 or 200 gallons. I didn't plan on having more than 6 or 8 depending. I know they get large so I don't want to over stock. My primary concern now is making sure they don't bully each other. I heard moors can be a little aggressive or nippy. I could be wrong.

You could as easily be right. Hers are in a small pond with quite a few live plants, so the fish are able to avoid each other when necessary. You're planning to build your own tank? I have a tank that a friend made; 137g. I've considered it in the past, but it's time-consuming, and after checking glass prices, it seems as cheap to buy a tank. Keep us updated on your project though please. I'm interested in seeing the finished tank.

It's going to be a wooden tank, and this project is years in the future, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom