What corals don't need food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earlysteven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Might be a dumb question do all corals need phytoplankton . And if so how hard is it to grow your own. I have a 150 and omg I'll be spending tons on it if I don't figure something out.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to feed many corals phytoplankton iv got mushrooms torches leathers and acros and I feed Rotifers sometimes to the corals if you want easy to care for corals go for mushrooms zoas and leathers

Only non-photo corals need food. No photosynthetic coral needs to be fed

Torch hammer frogspawn depends what you like I personally have a thing for soft corals like leathers and shrooms lately I also like acros but there In my nano

I almost bought some frogspawn but was told I would have to feed them

What a relieve lol ya obviously that guy didn't know what he was talking about

Thanks man I appreciate it . And I agree it's so much better to get multiple inputs instead of listen to the village idiot .

That's it I always try ask before any purchase I have bought corals that lasted less than a week and it sucks

The confusion is that everyone is right...almost. First, all photosynthetic corals can exist on light alone, but that process just produces sugars. As you would guess, a steady diet of sugar isn't necessarily a good thing, so they also feed using their polyps. You can accelerate the production of polyps and overall growth by having some food available in the water flow. If you have fish, that's probably enough floating nutrients all by itself. But corals do respond well to occasional feeding. I don't use the bottled phytoplankton but I do use a bit of Reef Chili squirted at night on each coral weekly.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom