What determines a tanks stocking capabilities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arloa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As the topic title says, what is the key factor in determining the stocking levels? For example, would it be possible to theoretical keep 200 guppies in a 10gallon tank with multiple established filters running? Similarly, would it be possible to have a single Oscar in a 100 gallon tank with a filter that is recommended for a 5gallon tank?

There's noooo way I would keep 200 guppies in a 10g or 1 oscar in a 100g with a 5g filter, that's crazy! typically the rule of thumb is 1g per 1" of fish. but i don't push it even that far. So say you have a 5g tank, you really don't want to put 5 fish in there. You'd want to put say three tetras and some shrimp know what i mean? overstocking is waaaaay more dangerous then understocking, and keeping less fish can actually be more pretty than having a tank filled with fish. If you kept three black skirt tetras with cherry shrimp in a 5g with tons of plants, you'd have a stunning biotope tank.

You also have to take into acount the bioload of each fish. For example goldfish and plecos poop allooooot. And also IMO its unethical to keep fish even in their minimum housing requirements so i try to give them as much room as possible. I mean think how much space itll have in the wild. I also try to understock to give each fish the maximum personal space. (unless it requires a school of course)

And im not sure 200 guppies would fit in a 10 gallon. And i wouldnt put a 5gallon filter on a hundered gallon as it wouldnt turn over the large amount of water fast enough.

You can get away with slightly overstocking a tank though if you prefer lots of fish. Id use 2 filters for more area for bacterial growth, and you have to check your parameters to see how long it takes your nitrate to get to a certain level. Then you can create a water change schedule based on how long it takes your nitrate to get high. If youre overstocked you could end up doing 2 or 3 a week.

Stocking is determined by several things:
1) The fish. Bioload, needed swimming space, aggression, etc
2) The filter.
3) The amount of live plants.
4) The aquarist.

If you give each fish room to swim then stocking is unlimited if you are willing to do the water changes required. Now if you have alot of plants then you can overstock your tank alot more.
For example, if I had a 5 gallon that was planted extremely heavily with greedy plants, then I would see no problem with adding 6 pygmy cories, 6 chilli rasboras, a handful of shrimp, and say 2 sparkling gouramis. This is way overstocked by most people standards but if you keep an eye on it you will probably be fine.

Back
Top Bottom