What do I do about my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After some thought, I have decided to make a small cichlid tank. I want to use my 20 gal tank but it's currently occupied. I also want to get rid of my 6 Giant Danios in my larger tank. What do people do when they want to start a new tank but don't want to wait years until the current population dies?

What kind of cichlids do you plan to put in a 20 gal tank?

And I'm with Fluff, I normally just buy a new tank. :D

You guys and your MTS solutions...LOL.

If you know other aquarists in your area you can trade or find if you have an Aquarium Club. These places are great to meet other aquarists and have others pick them up. Nebraska is sort of out of the way in that regard but you never know until you ask.

You can definitely look into trading them in, but I'll chime in with the others and say that is a big reason why I get new tanks, is to set up a community and free up a tank that I want to use for something else.

I'm also interested in what you plan to set up in the 20 once you get it cleared out. :)

I'm not sure yet. I finally made my mind up this morning. I would like to get a cichlid that is small enough to keep 1 or 2 of in the tank, is easy on plants ( b/c I want to try my hand at aquatic plants this tank) and one that can take my 8.8 ph water that is fairly hard. So most likely a rift cichlid of some sort.

Any suggestions?

I'm switching because I got 4 Kribensis a few weeks ago. They were my first cichlids and it is making a cichlid lover out of me. They are fascinating. :)

Most rift cichlids are going to be too large for a 20, but you could consider N. brichardi, as a pair would do great in that size tank and would adore your pH. They are not particular diggers, and I have kept them with valisneria with great success (that plant also can tolerate the alkaline conditions that the fish enjoy).

You could also get a pair of A. calvus, one of my particular favorites.

TankGirl said:
You can definitely look into trading them in, but I'll chime in with the others and say that is a big reason why I get new tanks, is to set up a community and free up a tank that I want to use for something else.

I'd love nothing better than to get another tank. :D But it's not in the cards right now. I'm currently saving for a Ehiem 2260 to put on the 75. Then I want to get some PC lighting and CO2 for the plants in the 20. :D

Hrm.. that reminds me that I 'm gonna need to also do a substrate switchout and dump the UGF lol...

I agree with tank girl. You could also do a tank of shellies. Very interesting small African cichlid.

You could prob have one male and a few females in a 20. As they make their nests out of shells I doubt they would hurt you plants much. I've never kept them so I'm not 100% sure about this.

When I tear the tank down, would it be safe to put the HOB from the 20 on my 75 so I can keep my biological filtration going for the next setup?

It would be extremely wise to run the filter from the 20 on the 75 in the meantime - that will hold tons of bacteria for you.

Shellies are extremely vigorous diggers, burying and shoving shells all around, and though I'd heartily recommend them as they are fascinating fish to keep, I don't think they'd work with plants unless you kept plants without true roots like java fern, java moss, bolbitis, anubias, etc. that could be tied to rocks. They'll just uproot everything in the substrate.

Thanks for all the advise so far folks :)

Julidochromis dickfeldi was one of the species that I was going to look into in more depth. Now I'll look into Neolamprologus brichardi and Altolamprologus calvus :D

Back
Top Bottom