What do I do once I get readings of both nitrites and nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mb102593

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm currently doing a fishless cycle and about a week ago I had readings of 0 ammonia, 4 nitrites and 80 nitrates. Is there anything that I have to do ? or do i just sit back and finally let this cycle finish. To be honest I've had this tank running since october, yeah very sad but I was so confused during the cycle when i thought i had read everything on it. Also is it common to have both those readings at once?

You're getting close. Now is a good time to do a big water change to restore buffers. Maybe add a pinch of fish food. Then see if nitrites zero out after a few days. Keep dosing ammonia. After nitrites zero out, do another big water change and you should be ready for fish. Good luck!

What do you mean by restore buffers ? And thank you ! I want my fish already ! haha

Mb102593 said:
What do you mean by restore buffers ? And thank you ! I want my fish already ! haha

Buffers are minerals like calcium, etc. They help keep pH stable. Toward the end of the cycle sometimes the pH will drop and stall the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom