What do I need? How to start ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Hey guys so I moving to a different apartment and I feel like this is the best opportunity for me to start a planted tank. I plan on switching from my gravel over to ((( Carib Sea ACS00832 Peace River Gravel for Aquarium, 20-Pound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002APMU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RUVyCbYVBAZGF ))) . My tank is a 55 gallon with a fluval 406 and aqueon 75 filter. I currently House 2 blood parrot fish .. here are some of my questions / concerns

1. Do I need soil? I just some basic plants to start off with..

2. Is this substrate good? It’s not sand but it’s very fine; If anyone have experience with this, I would love to hear your review since I have my second bag being sent to me.

3. What lighting fixture do you guys recommend ?

Low light plants would be a good starting point. Nearly any light will work with them. Beamswork makes an affordable light. They sell it on Amazon.

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 48 to 60-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7OTF9E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uJlzCbXTVQT8A

What you guys think???

I think that light is overkill as far as expense goes . like King Fisher said , if you want to go low tech use a Beamswork . I use them and love them . Also don't go for any fancy substrate . I use Black Diamond Blasting Grit . It is cheap , and lets me grow plants just fine with supplements , which you will need anyway . Low tech is fun and doesn't cost a fortune . It just takes time for a tank to get settled .

The link you posted doesn't work for me , but if that is just standard "gravel' should be ok . I have grown plants in gravel , but I switched to BDBS and have been much happier and have had better results overall . Like anything it is all personal preference ....lol EDIT: Ok, I copied link and went and looked at . It is just a small gravel . Too bad you have bought it already because BDBS is cheaper and better in my opinion , you will still be able to grow most plants in that though .

The link you posted doesn't work for me , but if that is just standard "gravel' should be ok . I have grown plants in gravel , but I switched to BDBS and have been much happier and have had better results overall . Like anything it is all personal preference ....lol EDIT: Ok, I copied link and went and looked at . It is just a small gravel . Too bad you have bought it already because BDBS is cheaper and better in my opinion , you will still be able to grow most plants in that though .

Thanks but what’s BDBS?

Just use a prefilter sponge on the intake of the filter . Helps keep the filter from clogging so fast and keeps sand or grit out too .

Ya I'm pretty sure that light is for low to medium light plants. Just don't run them longer than 8 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom