What does a concave belly mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know it isn't good, but I just dug three neons from my 10g tank, each with sunken bellies. One has died but the other two are still very lively. All three beforehand went crazy over both flakes (evening) and bloodworms (every two r three mornings) as normal. I'm wondering if I may have done something when I went trying to set my pH. Right now it's around 7.6. (way more alkaline than I want-bleeding hearts also. I'm going to leave it though.) Also wonder about bad fish at edspetworld.com though rasboras I got from there seems fine. What is probably the issue?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

With sunken belly I always worry about internal parasites. I had 4 albino mollies that had this from pet store. I bought them anyway because albino lyretail Molly's are rare in my area. After 3 months feeding them 10 times a day with bloodworms and other rich foods they never gained weight. I treated them with tetra parasite guard which contains praziquantel and metronidazole. Afterwards they became fat after just 2 days of feeding. They have been healthy since then. Fish can carry parasites even if they don't display sickly behaviors. Some professional fish breeders give antiparasite meds as prophylactic to all fish every 12 months.

Another thing... The Molly's were snow white color when I got them. After treatment they became rich yellow gold like the mollies in Petco Petsmart but albino red eyes.

What parasite was it? My guess is hexamita because an Apisto dwarf cichlid in my tank developed hole in the head a few weeks after my Molly's were introduced, which also got cured after treatment. I'm currently treating all 6 of my healthy aquariums just in case. Hexamita is nasty and highly contagious via siphon hose.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Now I'm seeing something on just about all my tetras so I've broke my fish up by species. My "healthier" tetras have cotton on their sides (I guess ick) and are in my nano with salt (for now). My rasboras show no sign of problems and they remain in my 10g. Bleeding hearts also appear great but are in my 29g. Should I treat all for parasites or just concentrate on the tetras?

Your Fish

Hello lec...

The disease you're describing is called "Wasting" disease or sometimes called "Consumption".

B

Piscine TB? [emoji33] Already that sounds rough. As contiguous as it is, did I just infect all three of my tanks by moving fish around to isolate my sick tetras? Also, shouldn't erythromycin phosphate take care of it? This showed up while treating for cyanobacteria that was trying to start.

Always treat entire tank when 1 is sick. Always assume that healthy looking tank mates are now carriers of disease. Separate only if sick fish is being bullied or if treatment is hazardous to plants or tank mates such as scaleless fish or catfish. Fish can appear healthy while being disease carriers. Hexamita parasite for example can live in intestines for months or years and not produce symptoms until host becomes immune compromised due to stress from handling, bullying, water conditions, or birthing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom