What does everyone mix their Water in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swicicki

Aquarium Advice Activist
And I'm not talking about the cool kids who have fish rooms or holding tanks they keep in their garage.

I'm talking about us losers who use buckets or whatever.

I used to work at the NY aquarium and we used garbage cans with wheels for some water mixing and moving animals but that was a long time ago and I do to know if the cans now will leach bad stuff into the water?

I'm getting sick of 5 gal buckets

I use the 5 gallon buckets from Lowes, but there are others who have larger tanks that use garbage cans on wheels just like you said. You just want to double check what the can is made out of to make sure it doesn't leach anything into the water...I think the rubbermaid ones are fine off the top of my head.

I use a plastic 60 gallon food grade drum I picked up at a garage sale. If I needed to replace it I'd use a rain barrel. I see them on Graig's list for $20.00 in my area. Garbage cans are not really designed to hold water. I had one spring a leak on me but it wasn't a rubbermaid.

I use a plastic 60 gallon food grade drum I picked up at a garage sale. If I needed to replace it I'd use a rain barrel. I see them on Graig's list for $20.00 in my area. Garbage cans are not really designed to hold water. I had one spring a leak on me but it wasn't a rubbermaid.

Just make sure it wasn't used for something that would contaminate the water.

We used to use grey thick round plastic ones with wheels like a school janitor.

I I'm pretty confidant that if I found one it would hold the water . Once we had 4 guys wrestle a pacific octopus into and out of one when the animal on display laid eggs and died.

I'm worried about the plastic leaching for some period of time. The ones at the aquarium and old and I'm thinking already leached out they were going to leach ?

Sniper - I would feel funny asking the guy at Home Depot " is this garbage can safe to eat out of"

I just found brute Rubbermaid at Wally World . I'm rinseing it now.

Thanks guys

I got one there a few months ago and I believe the 32g was $33. They make a 20g that I wish a local store had but I couldn't locate one. :(

And I'm not talking about the cool kids who have fish rooms or holding tanks they keep in their garage.

I'm talking about us losers who use buckets or whatever.

I used to work at the NY aquarium and we used garbage cans with wheels for some water mixing and moving animals but that was a long time ago and I do to know if the cans now will leach bad stuff into the water?

I'm getting sick of 5 gal buckets

Unfortunately I'm now a "cool kid" :lol:

I still use the 7.5 gal containers, it is sickening, I'm getting a reservoir! Seriously. That's the only next step, 200 or so litres in a suitable "potable" water container. I've been keeping fish almost nine years. That's basically your choices. A smaller fish tank, a reservoir, the large containers, a bucket or bin.

The large "reservoir" containers are available in a range of sizes and volumes so you can pick one to best suit your requirements. 25litres-30,000 litres. So you should get a perfect solution to your needs. They come fitted with outlets too!

I built a stand for my brute 44g and put a bulkhead in the bottom with a garden hose fitting, for pwc I mix my water hook up my hose and just turn it on and voila instant gravity fed water right to my tank

I got a 20 gal for $20

Already mixing water

I was ( read my wife was) getting sick of always having 5 gal buckets around the house

Back
Top Bottom