What eats hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently i have been having an outbreak of hair algae. I'm pretty sure its because i use some tap water for last weeks top offs instead of RO. What is the best organism to put in the tank to take care of hair algae. My friend has 2 emerald crabs in his 72g and they seem to do a good job. Is there anything better for the job?

I normally use RO water, but i didn't for a couple of top offs and i got this. I will be using RO from here on out, but i am looking for a quick fix without doing a bunch of water changes right away. Plus it give me a chance to add some more critters to the tank. Probably some snails and few emerald crabs i guess.

JM said:
but i am looking for a quick fix without doing a bunch of water changes right away.

There is no reason why you cant do both but PWC`s are a very good idea. If you want the critters than get them but dont get them in the name of "quick fix". IMO nothing good comes out of quick fixes when it comes to the sw hobby. You added alot of excessive nutrients with tap water now you need to do PWC`s to get rid of them. JMO. I hope all works out well.

Since it was just a couple top offs and now i am back to RO water isn't it very possible that the algae will exhaust all the nutrients that where put in the with the tap water and die off on its own. Your right about the quick fix thing, i probably shouldn't have phrased it like that. More like what is the natural way to eliminate the algae instead of doing a bunch of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom