What exactly grows off LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyMattChoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just inherited a 29g FO SW tank. Its my first SW tank ever. I would like to add LR and anemones, especially after seeing the awesome tanks in the galleries here!!! The tank also has CC, which after reading around here, I should switch to live sand. I have a 20g tank unused right now that I could as a QT to cure the LR and live sand.

But what exactly grows off of the live rock? Would I buy anemones seperately? I havent gone to the LFS in years and am clueless with SW. I jusy figured I would start by reading and learning. Sorry for such a newb question!!

Live rock has the bacteria (or in some cases holds it, if it isn't cured) to balance your tank and keep the ammonia cycle in check. What kind of lighting do you have? Anemone's require quite high lighting.

Before jumping into too deep of water I would suggest a lot of reading and research. SW is a great hobby but requires a lot of attention to detail. Check out the article section on this site for a lot of great information. Ask a lot of questions and research before making any purchases or decisions.

Sand is an easy fix. If you want to switch from CC to sand you want to make the change slowly if the tank is set up. A sudden change can cause spikes of all kinds. If you are just acquiring the tank then when you set it back up you may want to change the substrate out. Aragonite is a great option and is what many of us have used in the past. It is easily found in most LFS's or can be ordered online.

Anemones require a very well established system, strong light and good flow. Anemones are for the advanced hobbyist.

Take your time and do a lot of reading. Google is your friend and we are here to help you as well.

I wouldn't get anemones. Especially for your first tank. IMO with a small tank you don't have enough margin of error to keep a sensitive invert like that.

If you buy cured LR I still wouldn't trust putting it in your tank directly. To cure live rock you just need some aquarium heaters, a lot of buckets and power heads, salt mix and RO water and patience.

Oh and what do you mean by live sand? That bagged mud you see at the pet store is a rip off, it's been sitting there for months already. If I were to take one of my filter pads and stuff it into a plastic bag filled with water and leave it for a few months, it would oh so certainly not be "live" any more.

The beneficial bacteria in "live sand" will come with any live rock and from free floating spores in the atmosphere. They will also colonize anything, regardless of what it is; your tank glass, your filter, your rocks, sand, crushed coral substrate, aragonite, will all develop bacteria on it.

But do you guys agree that I should switch to sand instead of cc? Also what would be the best process? I was thinking I would have to bucket as much water as I can without stirring up the cc. Place my fish in one of the buckets. Then start removing the cc. I figured then I would get rid of that remaining water I didnt get out. Then add the sand and everything else back in. Would this be ok?

No! as Ziggy stated you must do things slowly in a saltwater tank. Reread his post. I Quoted his post and how to remove your CC.

"Sand is an easy fix. If you want to switch from CC to sand you want to make the change slowly if the tank is set up. A sudden change can cause spikes of all kinds. If you are just acquiring the tank then when you set it back up you may want to change the substrate out. Aragonite is a great option and is what many of us have used in the past. It is easily found in most LFS's or can be ordered online."

Replace ¼ to 1/3 of the crushed coral at a time. Get some landscaping edging material or make a barrier from a piece of acrylic to mark off a section. Remove the CC (SLOWLY). If you have a gravel vac, vaccum it first to get as much junk out of as possible.

Sand can be placed in the area in a variety of ways. You can mix dry sand with tank water out of the tank in a gallon baggie. Then put the baggie down on the glass and slowly pour the sand into the area. You can also use a 3" - 4" section of pvc. Place one end on the bottom, fill with sand (dry or wet though wet is better) and slowly lift the pvc.

Wait at least a week between sections so you don't remove too much of the beneficial bacteria at a time, and give the sand a chance to be coated by the bacteria.

I checked my lighting before I came to work today. I have a Zoo Med Sun Reef 50/50. I am in no hurry to do anything, I am basically just trying to learn. I know there are a lot of things I will need to buy before I ready for anything. I will leave the anemones alone, but a larger tank is on the agenda!!!

Back
Top Bottom