what fish is good for starters? (egg layer not live bearer)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey,

What is a good egg laying fish for starters to breed? I dont want any livebearers. My mollie just gave birth to 40+ fry on her first batch and thats enough (it was my first try and i succeeded. Yay. I'm so excited.). I dont want any chichlids unless it is a dwarf cich lid like a GBR and others of the sort. Thanks for all info. Oh and i would love to be able to breed GBRs or rasboras. Don't forget i am a starter so i dont want anything real hard.Thanks.

Kribs would be for you then. They are a dwarf cichlid from West Africa and unlike most GBR's they will more often than not parent raise their young. You may also consider a trio of apistos such as Apistogramma cacatouides. You could keep the kribs in a 10g tank by themselves but I'd recommend getting a 29g that way when they spawn and the fry grow to a decent enough size you can move both parents to another tank and grow the fry out in the 29g.

Kribs would be for you then. They are a dwarf cichlid from West Africa and unlike most GBR's they will more often than not parent raise their young. You may also consider a trio of apistos such as Apistogramma cacatouides. You could keep the kribs in a 10g tank by themselves but I'd recommend getting a 29g that way when they spawn and the fry grow to a decent enough size you can move both parents to another tank and grow the fry out in the 29g.
thanks. i'll look into them. do you think i could get some at my lfs?

Kribs spawn fairly easily. I love apistogramma's myself. Have quite a few. Also a big fan of both Bolivian rams and German Blues. Bolivians IMO are a bit easier to care for than German Blues.

Back
Top Bottom