What fish to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronmwolford

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I am getting a 20 gallon long aquarium and wanted to know what fish to add.
I plan on adding real plants and sand as my substrate.

Fish that I would like:

Guppies (random amount)
dwarf gourami(at least 1)
black phantom tetras(5 for schooling)
ghost shrimp(I would like 15)

All work in a 10+ tank and use the same temperature water. So how many could I have of each without overstocking. Are my amount to much? I looked up the size of each fish and if the ol' 1 inch per gallon is true then I should be alright. This doesn't include the shrimp though. Thoughts?

Hello everyone,

I am getting a 20 gallon long aquarium and wanted to know what fish to add.
I plan on adding real plants and sand as my substrate.

Fish that I would like:

Guppies (random amount)
dwarf gourami(at least 1)
black phantom tetras(5 for schooling)
ghost shrimp(I would like 15)

All work in a 10+ tank and use the same temperature water. So how many could I have of each without overstocking. Are my amount to much? I looked up the size of each fish and if the ol' 1 inch per gallon is true then I should be alright. This doesn't include the shrimp though. Thoughts?

The one inch per gal rule is useless. Just sayin'
Also, your amounts are fine. Three to five male guppies or one trio of guppies at one male per two females will work fine.

:agree: with emerald76, You could do between 3-5 guppies, 1 Dg, 5 phantom tetras (phantom tetras are really active and fun to watch!). IDK about the ghost shrimp amounts. The inch/gallon rule is bogus. You can't fit a pleco in a 20 gallon tank! Or a bala shark in a 15 gallon tank! Also, guppies are messy little fish, and you could only have about 5 of them in a 10 gallon, so you could not fit all of these in a 10 gallon.

Assuming you want all these fish, you would easily get away with 15 Ghost shrimp, 5 Black Phantom tetra, 1 Dwarf Gourami and 6 Guppy(1Male>2Female ratio, not 6 Males!). You need a good filter. With a 100 GPH filtration, it will still be under filtered. You would need at least 170gph-200gph, temperatures from 23-27C, pH 6-7.5(They will defiantly adapt). The Black Phantom Tetra will likely try to fin nip Guppy.

Back
Top Bottom