What fish to keep for new 16g tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanJee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday, I bought a new 16g aquarium for my friend :) . My friend is also a beginner as I was before starting my first 26g planted tank. His tapwater PH is 8.0 and KH is 5.0. Bought 4 plastic plants + 1 artificial drift wood.

Tetra AquaSafe, Tetra EasyBalance are also included. I need suggestion, what is the best way to cycle the tank. Shall I put Aquasafe/easybalance to start cycle the tank or simply put tapwater and let it run for 2-3 weeks. :?:

This time I am not ready to play with water chemistry :roll: , so the best would be to find a fish combination which matches with tap water. What do you guys suggest is the best fish combination to put in the tank with ph:8.0 and Kh:5.0 :?:

can you use some of your filter media in his tank? it will instantly cycle the tank.

to pull names out of a hat, 3 cory's, 5 smaller tetra's (Pristella maybe?) and 2 male swords (make sure they're male, or he'll have a tank full in no time)

the PH isn't a problem if the fish are aclimated slowly. and I would have thought it should be lower then 8.. did you test the water with dechlor in it?

I can't use my filter in his aquarium. I have flauval (have no spare one)and with his aquiarum a small ehiem internal filter came. Without this option what you suggest the best way to cycle ?

Fish will be introduced step by setp after the tank is cycled properly. I would say start would be with 3 cory's. Generally his kidz will love to have colorful fish. After 2,3 days swordtails or palties will be introduced. Guppies may live also under these conditions ?

I use tetra test kits and am sure that the results are correct.

Squeeze one of your filters sponges into the intake of his filter, it should expedite the cycle significantly. let any that doesn't go into his filter to settle in the gravel.

After 2 weeks the tank is cycled. I tested the water and resluts are:

Ph:8.0
Kh:5.0

Both are stable and same in tap water and aquarium water, so no worries about it.

Po4:5mg :?:
Nh3/Nh4: 0
No2: <0.3
No3: 12.5

The only problem I see is PO4 which I assume should be 0mg

No live plants/fish are present. It was a fishless cycle. Do I really need to think about lowering PO4 to avoid algae problem, if yes then what is the good way to do it :?:

@rich311k

Day before yesterday PO4 was 5mg. Afterwards did half water change.

Yesterday evening did PO4 test again
Tapwater: 5mg
Aquarium Water: 2mg

What do you think whats going on :?:

That is interesting. How many plants are in the tank? Keep checking the PO4 levels. If it keeps going high you will probably neeed somekind of Phosphate removing media.

fearlessfisch said:
What is your source of ammonia for the cycle?

No idea. :?
Just put the tap water in the aquarium and let it run for 2 weeks.

rich311k said:
That is interesting. How many plants are in the tank? Keep checking the PO4 levels. If it keeps going high you will probably neeed somekind of Phosphate removing media.

There are 6,7 plastic plants. Alright I check PO4 daily for some days. Lets see how it goes.

===============================================
UPDATE
===============================================

Today PO4 is 2 mg

Putting tap water into a tank and running it for two weeks does not cycle the tank. In order for the cycle to occur, an ammonia source must be present. Take a look in the articles section of this site to read more about fishless cycling.

Your test results make no sense to me and make me wonder if your kit is any good. If all you did was put tap water in the tank and run it empty, you should have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and zero nitrates.

Your cycle will not begin until you introduce ammonia to the tank, and it will take over a month to complete. You might want to start another topic question if you have any more questions before you start your actual cycle.

Good luck.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. I thought the stuff was squeezed into the tank two weeks ago, and the tank has been running empty since then. Without a constant ammonia source, the nitrifying bacteria would be starving during that time.

Not looking for an argument. Just confused by what is being described here.

25 & 26 FEB PO4: 2mg

Same result from last 3,4 days.

@fearlessfisch
How to introduce ammonia :?:
To verify the test kit went to another friend's house and checked tha tap water PO4: 0mg same at my place. Only my friend has PO4:5mg in his tap water.

I did not introduce any of my aqaurium gravel/filter materail to my friends aquarium. Tap water + Plastic plants are in without fish and its running now from 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom