What gender are these rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imat

Aquarium Advice Regular
What sex are these? I bought two blue rams today and am trying to figure out the sex of each one. I was trying for a pair (M/F). I just want to make sure its not two males. Thanks! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407716792.695471.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407716804.650924.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Second one if say female. They look a little bit stressed. I take it they're new. Give them abit and then you'll know

Yeah i put them in the tank about 10 min before i took these pics

I think you have 2 females there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed they are both female German Blue Rams.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are two females together ok?? I was hoping for a pair.

Depends on the fish and the tank size

Yah, they'll be fine..you could add a male, just keep an eye out for aggression. If they pair you'll want to remove the odd girl out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would two pairs be ok in there? If I went and bought two males?

As long as the tank is big enough they will create territories and pair off

Yep 2 females. You can tell because they have iridescent scales inside their black spot. Males have a very solid black spot with no sparkly scales in it.
How big is your tank and what other fish do you have?

I have a 55 gallon tank. It is stocked with

6 oto cats
8 black neon tetras
15 neon tetras

I may get rummynose tetras or corydoras in the future but not sure.

Would 2 females be ok or do they really need to be in pairs?

Oh you have plenty of room. The 2 females will be fine, or 2 pairs would be fine too.

I'm not so sure pic 1 is female. There are blue specs near the black spot but not really in it(not really a sure way to sex them anymore from what I've read) and it's belly has a red-ish hue to it but it doesn't look internal, like the second pic, it looks more like its coloration.
I have a male that has these same traits( I'm now sure he's a male because they've spawned numerous times...). When I purchased mine I asked the owner of my lfs to help me as I wasn't quite sure how to tell, I wasn't searching for a mating pair, but didn't want two males due to aggression. I got home and was reading up on sexing them, and was sure he gave me two girls... Well, the next day they spawned, and have done so eight times since I bought them. Not the greatest pic of him on the left but you can see the blue specks and red tone on his belly. I agree that a pic after they have settled in a bit would be more conclusive.

Ok! Love your pair! You guys have been very helpful! I will post better pictures today. They are not together but both are out and about and not hiding. :) will post new pics here in the reply soon.

There are blue specs near the black spot but not really in it(not really a sure way to sex them anymore from what I've read)

Yes this only really works on wild rams and even then it can be inaccurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Better pics!

Ram #1 (have two pics of her. this is pic 1)

Attachments

• IMG_2428 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_2428 (Copy).jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 59
better pics!

ram #1 (second picture of ram 1)

Attachments

• IMG_2419 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_2419 (Copy).jpg
    177 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom