What has caused sudden rise in PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clr_newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have added a sump to my 40 gal. saltwater tank and my PH has risen. For the last 6 months my PH has been consistently 8.2 (average). With the addition of a 15 gallon sump 2 weeks ago, the PH has been inbetween 8.4-8.6.

Current Parameters

Nitrate = 10
Nitrite = 0
PH = 8.6
Amn = 0
SG = 1.023

Could to much oxogen cause th PH to rise? With the addition of the HOB overflow into my sump, there seems to be a lot of air injected into the water at the sump inflow.

Water changes are a quick fix but the PH level creeps up within a couple days. What to do?

What's your alkalinity? What additives do you put into the tank? When are you taking the PH reading? Poor oxygenation will reduce your PH so getting your oxy to where it belongs will rise it but not usually TOO high unless other factors are at play. Post your alk and ca numbers and maybe that will help the "diagnosis".

I don't think 8.4 is a bad reading though.

There is nothing wrong with that reading. Mine has been 8.4 for several years. Looks good IMO

8.4 is fine.. consistent 8.6 may not be. But I've never heard of this being an issue. If your alk/ca is in check, pH will reduce itself naturally.

Back
Top Bottom