what is a good amount of fish to have in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spaz0177

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
120 gallon
165 # of live rock

4 damsels
1 blenny
2 yellow faced gobies
1 female swallowtail angel
1 naso tank
1 kole tank
3 scissortail gobies

You sure you want those damsels? What kind of damsels are you planning? I have not had much sucess with damsels and most gobys. Also, any of those peaceful fish will, more than likely, be harassed by most damsels, possibly the tangs.
Naso tang needs a min of 125G and won't get along with other tangs.
Kole tang won't generally get along with other tangs.
Not sure what a yellow faced goby...do you mean a watchman goby? If it is a watchman, two will need to be a mated pair or might fight.
Blenny, what kind?
That is just some input. Others will be along to give further advice.

i already have these fish. The blenny is a starry blenny. In terms of quantity, is it too many or can I add another 1 or two

I think you might a little overstocked right now.

It's not a question of a magic number but of how much bioload your tank can sustain. there are so many variables from tank to tank:

This can depend on such factors as:
water circulation--gph of your pump
size of your sump--is there live rock in the sump?
age or maturity of your tank and thus the ability for the dinitrifying bacteria to handle the bioload
size or estimated maxium size of the fish---I believe that naso tang can grow to 16inches
frequency and gals of your water changes
strenghth of your cleanup crew
**size of your protein skimmmer
how much you increase the bioload at a time and how long you wait after you add a new fish for the cycling to catchup
Tangster

I know they have a general rule out there of 1 inch for every 5 gallons of tank. But that rule is very general and really you need to factor in the fish, bioload and equipment and how often you want to do PWC`s.

I agree..with what has been said here...What else do you have for equipment on this tank. Is it a 120 long or tall? A 4' tank isn't going to cut it for those tangs. I'm not sure about the angel. Take a few minutes and fill out the "my info" so we can skip the questions about your setup and get to the meat of the issue!

Happy Reefing!

sorry for not getting back for awhile. Was on the road for a few days. 2x250 hallides, 150 gallon protein skimmer, pumping 1000 gph through the sysem. 165 #'s of live rock and 2 inch sand bed.

I know I am missing something, let me know what that is.

thanks in advance this site is awesome and I have learned alot from it.

Back
Top Bottom