What is a good Sealer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,

I got this fellow yesterday and he went into hiding hasnt came out since, will he eventually come out to feed? anyone know info about this fish? I stuck a algae wafer inside of his hiding place that he shares with the yoyo

I'm sure he'll come out. Probably still adjusting to the new tank and layout. My Clown didn't come out for nearly a week. Now whenever I put an algae waffer in he's up front within minutes.

Congrats on the new pleco. Those are very nice looking fish.

I have had a gold nugget for over six months, and he is my favorite fish. They can be somewhat shy, especially when new. Luckily, mine staked out a hiding place that is visible if you squat down--he hangs upside down on the underside of a driftwood arch. Whenever I drop in food, he comes charging out, but he didn't do that until I had him well over a month, and it was probably another month after that before he got to the poing he wouldn't skitter off again if he caught any movement from me.

Luckily, mine staked out a hiding place that is visible if you squat down--he hangs upside down on the underside of a driftwood arch.

That's exactly what my Queen Arabesque pleco did; good thing, 'cause it doesn't move from that spot. Ever. Except apparently well after lights out. I've literally never seen it out of hiding.

kaz, I would head over to Planet Catfish and/or PlecoFanatics to read up on your new nugget. They are beautiful, and get BIG! Congratulations. Hopefully you will be able to see it once in a while, it can take a very long time for them to get comfortable in the tank and emerge to have a look around.

this guy hasnt come out is there a problem of him not eating for this long?

kaz said:

As long as it's still hiding you're OK. Its when they sit out in the open that you have a problem. That's usually the first sign your pleco is about to die. Gold nuggets are a very difficult pleco to keep. The biggest mistake people make is that Gold Nugget plecos need a protein based diet. They probably won't eat any algae in your tank. Their diet should be based on catfish food. Ironically most algae wafers are fish based and can be used to feed these fish.

There are three different types of gold nugget plecos. The one with the smallest dots is the easiest to keep. The other version can be hit or miss. I've had plecos that couldn't adjust and would die of starvation. If the pleco was wild caught he may have internal parasites that may prevent him from eating or wanting to eat. Look for a tell tale sign of a sunken stomach before you buy. I won't buy any new pleco that arrives at my local fish store until it's been there at least two weeks. I'd say you've got about a 50/50 chance a gold nuggets will survive the first week. If he makes it through the first week the next few months will be the next challenge. If you can keep him alive for a year he'll do great.

I hope I haven't discouraged you from keeping plecos but they really are a labor of love. I used to have 10 in my 60 gallon tank. I only had to get rid of them because I switched to a planted tank and many plecos will destroy plants.

Good luck with your little guy. Do lots of research on your gold nugget and just be a good host, that's all you can do.

docrak said:
kaz said:

As long as it's still hiding you're OK. Its when they sit out in the open that you have a problem. That's usually the first sign your pleco is about to die. Gold nuggets are a very difficult pleco to keep. The biggest mistake people make is that Gold Nugget plecos need a protein based diet. They probably won't eat any algae in your tank. Their diet should be based on catfish food. Ironically most algae wafers are fish based and can be used to feed these fish.

There are three different types of gold nugget plecos. The one with the smallest dots is the easiest to keep. The other version can be hit or miss. I've had plecos that couldn't adjust and would die of starvation. If the pleco was wild caught he may have internal parasites that may prevent him from eating or wanting to eat. Look for a tell tale sign of a sunken stomach before you buy. I won't buy any new pleco that arrives at my local fish store until it's been there at least two weeks. I'd say you've got about a 50/50 chance a gold nuggets will survive the first week. If he makes it through the first week the next few months will be the next challenge. If you can keep him alive for a year he'll do great.

I hope I haven't discouraged you from keeping plecos but they really are a labor of love. I used to have 10 in my 60 gallon tank. I only had to get rid of them because I switched to a planted tank and many plecos will destroy plants.

Good luck with your little guy. Do lots of research on your gold nugget and just be a good host, that's all you can do.

I believe I have the L18 pleco small dots, however I do go to sleep early so this is probably why I never saw the guy. last night I stayed up until 2am and I saw both the pleco and the yoyo our and about possbily eating.

Congrats on the gold nugget. I've had one for almost a year and only see him when the tank lights are off. I know he eats after lights out as I have snuck up on the tank and suprised him with a flashlight. They are a wonderful addition to any tank IMO.

yes, today I will be buying some small driftwood and rocks to create caves what is a good sealer for this task?

last night I did a reading on the water may anyone share if this is ok or bad water:

KH 8 TAP WATER KH 10
GH 19
PH 7.4
CO2 TO GET START COLOR WAS 5 DROPS AND IT TOOK 3 MORE DROPS TO ARCHIVE END COLOR
FE 0.1

what is a good sealer to put together rocks to form caves for inside the tank?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom