What is causing my water to have a red tone? The sponge filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MicheleCar9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting a red tone to my water without fish or anything in it yet but really good quality substrate and the sponge filters are on. Tends to go away once everything is added. Fresh water Nano living aquariums 5 gallon and 3 gallon. As I'm setting up a new tank to begin again. Without the plants, snails,shrimp and fish (guppies) the water has a red tone. Already put Seachem Prime and Right start. All parameters are stable. But I noticed this while just putting water and sponge filters in the 3 gallon tank and letting it sit to get ready for the next step. Never noticed this before. My gorgeous and very expensive Nano tank was overwhelmed with brown snails hitchhikers that slimmed everything to death. I had to be put in the hospital and could only find a friend to feed 2X a day. Wasn't able to recover the tanks once I got home. These things totally took over with slime everywhere. I saved 2 shrimp,all white,blue and gold mystery snails (2)each. Even killed my new baby white&blue mystery snail babies. I'm worried about the reddish tone. ..Anyone have a hint?
Thank you very much,
Michele :confused:

Was the filter in a different tank and you just moved it? If it was in a previous tank that had snails with it, I would rinse it really well with tank safe water.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or better yet, just clean it really well with tap water, let it dry out, and add it to a tank of water. If the water turns red, then it's the filter.

Was the filter in a different tank and you just moved it? If it was in a previous tank that had snails with it, I would rinse it really well with tank safe water.

Thank you very much for a answer. But I rinsed the Sponge filters until they water ran clear. I put a container under so I could see the water each time I rinsed them and soaked them in fresh water (changing the water for 3 days )& used fish friendly water. So I'm stumped. .lol..it's not clearing out of the 5 gallon tank and it's been running for 3 days with just new,substrate in it. I'm not doing anything different than I usually do when cycling a new tank to begin again. Although I lost over 1000.00 from the place that sent the plants and started this whole mess. Now I know to rinse plants in a bleach before I put them into the tank. Long story about what happened to me before the hospital stay.
But THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Any ideas are great. .

Gotta to be the substrate. What is the substrate? Tannic acid or red clay content maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. The substrate is black Carribean Sea Eco Complete. It's going away with rinsing the sponge filters 2X a day. It's almost clear. Thank you very much for the help. I'm going to post a few more questions if I can find the category. .Otherwise I will post it here. .lol..

Thank you. The substrate is black Carribean Sea Eco Complete. It's going away with rinsing the sponge filters 2X a day. It's almost clear. Thank you very much for the help. I'm going to post a few more questions if I can find the category. .Otherwise I will post it here. .lol..

There are probably tiny particles from the Carib sea that have collected in the filter sponges.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm getting a red tone to my water without fish or anything in it yet but really good quality substrate and the sponge filters are on. Tends to go away once everything is added. Fresh water Nano living aquariums 5 gallon and 3 gallon. As I'm setting up a new tank to begin again. Without the plants, snails,shrimp and fish (guppies) the water has a red tone. Already put Seachem Prime and Right start. All parameters are stable. But I noticed this while just putting water and sponge filters in the 3 gallon tank and letting it sit to get ready for the next step. Never noticed this before. My gorgeous and very expensive Nano tank was overwhelmed with brown snails hitchhikers that slimmed everything to death. I had to be put in the hospital and could only find a friend to feed 2X a day. Wasn't able to recover the tanks once I got home. These things totally took over with slime everywhere. I saved 2 shrimp,all white,blue and gold mystery snails (2)each. Even killed my new baby white&blue mystery snail babies. I'm worried about the reddish tone. ..Anyone have a hint?
Thank you very much,
Michele :confused:

Check the water heater. Sometimes when they're ready to go, rust gets into the heated water. Run some hot water into a white bucket and see if it's red. Then run cold into the same bucket. If the cold doesn't have the red color, replace your water heater.
Just a thought.

It was the sponge filters. After I soaked and rinse them a lot the water is clear and looking great.
Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom