What is dry fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where can one acquire this product? Is it available at local hardware store or just lfs? Do u dose with it or is it a product that is mixed with substrate? I'm trying to get the most bang for bucks and see this term used on this site and trying to get some info. Any would be helpful, thanx.

Your best bet is to go to a site that sells dry ferts, bobstropicalplants, greenleafaquariums, and aquariumfertilizer.com come to mind.

You may be able to get some of the ferts locally though if you have an indoor gardening /hydroponics store nearby, but i'd call ahead. Some of the macros can be had from varied sources, but overall its much simpler and probably cheaper just to buy a package from one of the aforementioned sites.

Some of the macros can be had from varied sources, but overall its much simpler and probably cheaper just to buy a package from one of the aforementioned sites.

You mean you don't like buying fleet enema? :lol:

If you go the route of dry ferts (which I personally highly recommend), the make sure you have a plan or system that works for you. Dry ferts are much more potent than people think. 1/2 tsp or so of nitrate will bring a 45 gallon tank up 10-15 ppm.

Do you have to use that liquid CO2 Excel with dry ferts?

I'll definitely check out green leaf as well as some other sites stated. So dry ferts are more potent? Are they just as effective, if not better than say flourish? I'm hoping to save some $$ by finding alternative methods of maintaining my tank; aren't we all. Is there any set backs using dry ferts? High ammonia, trates, trites, etc. that I should be cautious? I'm assuming they contain all necessary micro and macro nutrients? I app all the input!

Dry ferts cost pennies compared to the liquid stuff. As mentioned, its easy to overdose if you don't make the effort to measure properly. Everyone I know that is even remotely serious about their planted tank has eventually gone to dry.

I'm definitely gonna dive into this more, check online prices and check out some hydroponic stores nearby. Keep sending any info. Thanx!!!

Dry ferts cost pennies compared to the liquid stuff. As mentioned, its easy to overdose if you don't make the effort to measure properly. Everyone I know that is even remotely serious about their planted tank has eventually gone to dry.

I did some math the other day. To make the equivalent of Seachem's new $8 nitrogen supplement, you would need about 30 cents worth of KNO3. 'Course, the Seachem line is made with all sorts of Seachem trade secrets, so I'm sure it has to be loads better....

That was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it. Plants have been thriving for years without specially chelated ammonia.

I did some math the other day. To make the equivalent of Seachem's new $8 nitrogen supplement, you would need about 30 cents worth of KNO3. 'Course, the Seachem line is made with all sorts of Seachem trade secrets, so I'm sure it has to be loads better....

That was sarcasm, in case anyone missed it. Plants have been thriving for years without specially chelated ammonia.

So....it's not magic in a bottle? :lol:

@ the op, the whole dry fert thing seems daunting at first, just keep researching it, it's really not hard at all.

I went to dry ferts within the last couple of months and there is no way i'll be going back to the premixed liquid ferts. I've seen worlds of difference and amazing amounts of growth in my plants (the new CO2 system helps as well). They are potent so be careful when measuring out your doses.

My advice is to ask any and every question you can. These guys have helped me a TON.

If I get the complete package item from green leaf aquarium, do I still dose iron and boron? It didn't say it had these nutrients online. Also, did find a dry fert at local hydro store and they have something similar but it is derived from ammonia. Is that normal? The kn03 value would need to be seriously diluted, it was 10-5-10 I think.

CSN+B will have everything you need, micronutrient wise.

Hydroponics can get away with using ammonia products because they don't need to worry about keeping fish alive or worry as much about algae. We, unfortunately, have no such advantage.

I just ordered from Green Leaf. Now trying to understand dosing using there website.

I'm looking at PPS cuz I use Sicce for co2 dosing and its difficult to get an exact ppm reading. I have to use a ph, kh chart method which isn't accurate. Plants are doing great tho using this thing tho. EI method, as I understand, is for steady-heavy CO2 dosers with weekly water changes as stated. My tank seems pretty steady so I'm thinking the PPS method is best fit for my tank. Thoughts on this method?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom