What is going on...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just when I thought everything was going well..This is yet another cycling question (-___-)

Yesterday, I finally got nitrites at .25, ammonia at 0, and guess what--nitrates at 5ppm. This was a milestone for me and I was happy as a bee. After testing I did a 30% water change because of the nitrites..mistake?

Today, before doing a water change, I tested the water. There is slight ammonia between 0 and .25ppm, nitrites between 0 and .25ppm, and guess what--NO nitrates. Argh! I'm mad at myself because I'm guessing it was the water change I did that messed it up. I did a 30% water change anyway, just for the ammonia and nitrites.

I did not tamper with the filter, nor did I change or add anything to the tank. Today, when doing a water change, I used warmer water..I don't know if that's gonna help but I did it anyway.

Maybe I'm just being impatient? I don't know, but I'm planning to test the water again this evening just for some closure.

Any ideas on what's going on??? I'm doing a fish in cycle, btw.

Not sure what the problem is. I would expect nitrates to come down after a water change. How long have you been cycling? Also, if you have fish in the tank, I would not add warmer water. Do you have a heater?

Not sure what the problem is. I would expect nitrates to come down after a water change. How long have you been cycling? Also, if you have fish in the tank, I would not add warmer water. Do you have a heater?

Today marks 2 weeks.
I DID have a heater, but it broke down yesterday (oh the irony), I guess I should've added that to the thread. I've been trying to keep the water on the warmer side, though nothing extreme from the original temp the heater was set to (79F). I am currently using a thermometer when I do water changes just to make sure the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much for the sake of the fish. Right now it's still at 79F, but without the heater the water is bound to get cold. Gonna rush to the pet store but I'm still clueless about my parameters.

I don't see the problem. Nitrates don't matter for cycles

Kinda confused now... I thought you first look out for ammonia, then ammonia and nitrites, then nitrites and nitrates?

I made this thread because I first had ammonia (for a week), then on the later days, no ammonia, around .25 nitrites, and 5 nitrates. Then all of a sudden (the very next day, which is today) I'm getting ammonia, nitrites, 0 nitrates. Maybe that's the norm, but it threw me off guard. I'm new at this, so I don't have the slightest idea whether this is normal or something else is at play. >___< blah, I'm just trying to keep the fishes healthy while I figure out this whole cycle situation.

In a cycle, you are looking for the ammonia to go up, then down, nitrites to go up, then down, and then you should wait for a little bit to make sure the nitrites and ammonia stay down, then you can slowly add fish. Nitrates don't really matter. When fishless cycling, a nitrate spike signifies the end of a cycle, but it is not mandatory.

In a cycle, you are looking for the ammonia to go up, then down, nitrites to go up, then down, and then you should wait for a little bit to make sure the nitrites and ammonia stay down, then you can slowly add fish. Nitrates don't really matter. When fishless cycling, a nitrate spike signifies the end of a cycle, but it is not mandatory.

I'm doing a fish in cycle.

Your nitrates should have only dropped by 30% at most. The most likely cause for the 0 reading is a mistake in performing the nitrate test. This is usually the cause of a 0 reading 99% of the time during a cycle.

As nitrites go down, nitrates should go up as that is what the nitrites are getting converted to. If they are not going up then something is wrong with your cycle and when the cycle is complete you will know by the nitrate reading. So yes you were right. Ammonia created by fish waste gets converted to nitrites... Nitrites get converted to nitrates. You do water changes to get rid of the nitrates. After your cycle is complete do 50% water changes when your nitrates hit 20ppm. That's the easiest way to maintain water.

Also since your doing a fish in cycle you should be doing large frequent water changes as well. This will tend to slow down the process a bit but allows the fish to stay healthy

Your nitrates should have only dropped by 30% at most. The most likely cause for the 0 reading is a mistake in performing the nitrate test. This is usually the cause of a 0 reading 99% of the time during a cycle.

Elaborate? Lol sorry if its obvious, but I don't quite get doing a mistake in performing the nitrate test..are you saying that I did something wrong while testing for nitrates? Or...I feel dumb, please bare with me haha.

As nitrites go down, nitrates should go up as that is what the nitrites are getting converted to. If they are not going up then something is wrong with your cycle and when the cycle is complete you will know by the nitrate reading. So yes you were right. Ammonia created by fish waste gets converted to nitrites... Nitrites get converted to nitrates. You do water changes to get rid of the nitrates. After your cycle is complete do 50% water changes when your nitrates hit 20ppm. That's the easiest way to maintain water.

Thanks for that! For now ill just test all 3, just to have an idea of what's going on.

Make sure when doing the nitrates test you shake the heck outta bottle 2 if its the API kit. Shake it for a minute or 2 and bump it a few times on something to make sure it's mixed good. It has suspended particles that are know for settling to the bottom and sticking there. Add the drops from bottle 1 to the tube of water, give a quick mix, add the drops from bottle 2 and shake for 1 minute then let it sit for 5 mins and check color against chart

Make sure when doing the nitrates test you shake the heck outta bottle 2 if its the API kit. Shake it for a minute or 2 and bump it a few times on something to make sure it's mixed good. It has suspended particles that are know for settling to the bottom and sticking there. Add the drops from bottle 1 to the tube of water, give a quick mix, add the drops from bottle 2 and shake for 1 minute then let it sit for 5 mins and check color against chart

Yeah, I use that API test kit. Thanks! Ill be sure to shake it well, LOL. Hopefully that will get my readings back in check. I seriously hope it's just the test and not a problem with the cycle. Will keep this thread updated when I test tomorrow morning.

Might try testing tap if you haven't already. It can give you a point of reference. Also, should contain some nitrates as well.

Might try testing tap if you haven't already. It can give you a point of reference. Also, should contain some nitrates as well.

This is true, especially if your on city water. They're allowed to feed you so much of everything. Also your city should have posted on their website what the water specs are for what areas. I'm on a well and have 0 for all parameters.

I did test tap, but only for pH and ammonia. No ammonia. I'll update this when I get nitrites and nitrates tested.

I did test tap, but only for pH and ammonia. No ammonia. I'll update this when I get nitrites and nitrates tested.

Today's readings are as follows:

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate.

Does this mean?....
I'm kinda skeptical because its only been 2 weeks and a day, and nitrates are low. Does cycling go that fast? I've never put or bought anything with live bacteria in it.
As for my tap, it's 0,0 and somewhere in between 0 and 5ppm for nitrates.

The picture shows nitrates, nitrites and ammonia in order lol

Attachments

• image-3300178454.jpg
    image-3300178454.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom