What is it??? (w/ pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
It continues to amaze me, but we have found yet another new creature in our tank. Our live rock is at least 6 months old and this guy escapes our eyes till now.

Is it a mantis or a pistol (or something else). We are REALLY hoping it is not another mantis. We caught one some months ago after it killed our golby. We know we have a pistol and this is not him. Our pistol is a much lighter color like pink/peach.

What do you think? Give me good news! You'll see how close he came to me clown in shot #2.

D

Attachments

• image_resize1.jpg
    image_resize1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image_resize2.jpg
    image_resize2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 143
My husband just came home and looked at my pictures and he thinks it is our pistol even though he appears much darker. He thinks maybe he molted and the color is different than we are used to. Ever hear of this? He thinks it is a pistol because of that one odd claw. But he has these blue antennas and tentacles. I don't remember those.

Lobster? Pretty interesting thought....

D

Looks like a shrimp to me. The claw shape is the same as a pistol, although it's hard to see in the pic, is one claw a bit larger? I wouldn't worry to much either way but maybe keep an eye on him just in case.

Oops. I'm a bit slow with the submit button tonight and didn't see your new post. I'm positive it's a pistol shrimp. I've never heard of them changing color but perhaps it's a maturity thing.

Thank you for all your thoughts. At least I'm not worrying about another predator in my tank :)

D

I agree, it is a pistol shrimp. Nice one to. How about finding it a little shrimp goby partner? Way cool relationship.

Is it safe to have a diamond golby AND a shrimp golby? I already have a diamond but would like to get a shrimp for my pistol to have the friend.

D

Back
Top Bottom