What is lace rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was told it's a type of base rock by the Lfs . Is he right? Also if it is base rock is it any good ? I was told it is very porous and light. Thanks

Does it affect ph? Also I would be getting 200 lbs of it for my new tank and seed it with live. I want to make sure that's a good idea .

Ok I have been googling it and found conflicting info about the ph. Is there a better choice of base rock than that?

Lace rock is pretty common in african cichlid tanks as a buffer to help raise pH. In a sw tank, the pH is already going to be high enough that it won't have any effect. Live rock from the ocean is about the same in its buffering capacity.

google has alot of conflicting info, alot of people give opinions based on things they do not know.

our live rock is still a calcium carbonate based rock. its just comprised mainly of aragonite where as lace rock is like limestone, both still calcium carbonate but they are mined from the earth, not taken from the ocean

Ok . As far as housing beneficial bacteria is there a better choice? This tank is a big investment for me and I want the good stuff in it.

Back
Top Bottom