What is this dust like algae/substance in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lowrider007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, new to the forum having a bit of a problem with my 120L tank, as you can see from the picture below I have this stuff accumulating in my tank which I can only best describe as 'dust', it doesn't appear to be stringy, if I dust tap my plants it comes off, also thier is loads of it just floating around the tank, I tried cleaning the tank out a few days ago and it's all back again, anyone know what this stuff is please?

Did it start off growing on the glass, then fell off? If so, it's green dust algae. One suggested treatment is to just wait it out, and don't try to remove it until it falls off.

Not diatoms at all? Does it rub easily off the plants?

Diatoms. What are they and how can I get rid of them?

Yes it rubs off very easily.

Did it start off growing on the glass, then fell off? If so, it's green dust algae. One suggested treatment is to just wait it out, and don't try to remove it until it falls off.

No it starts collecting on the plants first and then gets everywhere else, if I gentle shake the plants with my fingers it easily comes off and then it's like snow globe of dust in the tank.

Suggested to me maybe the plants themselves are causing it because that don't look too healthy, they are just plonked into a 2-5mm gravel substrate.

That is pretty shallow for plants. I think my gravel would be more like 3 inches.

How old is the tank, what is the colour of the dust and do you have any sand in the tank?

That is pretty shallow for plants. I think my gravel would be more like 3 inches.

How old is the tank, what is the colour of the dust and do you have any sand in the tank?

Sorry when I said 2-5mm substrate I actually meant the size of the gravel/stones, it is about one and a half inches in depth.

I have no sand in the tank, the tank has been set up for around 4 months.

The colour is definitely grey just like dust.

I had a look back but it doesn't ring a bell. The algae I've had on plants is green or greenish black and doesn't come off if the plants are tapped. Only thing like that for me is tank sediment but nothing that bad.

Back
Top Bottom