What is this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought this yesterday from petsmart...the woman claimed he was a jack demsey...but he was all black swirled with a dark creamy color and has a jeweled affect on his body...i had to google jack demseys..and even their shape is different..to me it looks like some sort of oscar....i'm not exactly sure what to do with him..i seperated him and another fish that was dying..but he's still alive..he just doesnt have any energy..

img_1312245_0_4d334342901b852957613bb5012c13ad.jpg

I think you're going to have to get a side shot of it in order to tell... it looks like it could be one of many.. and that green container is throwing off the color. Can you get a better pic? Even if its just you holding it, we should be able to tell.

i'll try holding it..i'm afraid to mess with it to much that it really will die...

I don't think you'll cause it too much stress... just looking, the fins look (and I may be wrong, hard to tell) pretty messed up on top. Has it been harassed? The body shape makes me think african, definitely doesn't look like an oscar from the picture.

he looked fine when i took him out of the tank last night...fine color wise..he was much brighter then..i didnt have them for that long...

i'm trying to get it on my laptop...i dont think the picture does it justice..he's much rounder in shape from the side with his fins up

I don't think you'll cause it too much stress... just looking, the fins look (and I may be wrong, hard to tell) pretty messed up on top. Has it been harassed? The body shape makes me think african, definitely doesn't look like an oscar from the picture.

he should be african..which is what is in my tank..i dont think petsmart has to many of a selection..i think they just have the african..then south..which is oscars to them..my cousin who use to work at a fish store..(my aunt and uncles actually) says its a buttikoferi but i dont think so..the stripes are to uniformed

He kind of looks like my black convict a little but can't really tell. My local pet store likes to sell hybrids as other fish. It may very well be a victim of that.

Sorry correction after looking at you holding him he looks more like my jack only shrunken lol there is my little jack (the one whith the blue specs) and convict

Attachments

• image-1086214666.jpg
    image-1086214666.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 88
for real???? are they normally this dark? the tank was all black

It's a stress coloration he looked a little beat up so it's not unusual, the speckles that give it the jeweled look give it away, no other fish sold by petsmart with the exception of red jewels will have that.

Back
Top Bottom