What is this on my live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brettdis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i’m New to saltwater. Yesterday we added some live rock. This morning I found this on one of them. I’m trying to learn as much as I can about what’s growing on them. I tried doing some search’s online and I found out what a few things might be, But this one I couldn’t find. Anyone know what it is? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 7313537B-676B-43AE-BFDE-70D890798324.jpeg
    7313537B-676B-43AE-BFDE-70D890798324.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
it doesn't move that i've seen. yeah its very hard to get a good picture. it took about 20 pictures to get that one. its very small i would say about a 1/4 of an inch long. its a deep purple colour. its in a hole in the rock. doesn't look soft or fuzzy. looks like its hard. almost like someone dipped that part of rock in paint but its coming up off the rock not around the rock if that makes sense.

I think sponge as well. I have similar looking sponges in my rock. They're beneficial I believe.

They can be. But sponges can also be invasive. If they encrust over large amounts of rock they can filter a lot out of the water column but also can be toxic. Sponges are cool, but I always keep an eye on them if they aren’t pineapple sponges.

Thanks. Being new t salt water its exciting to find stuff growing on the rocks. Hopefully it keeps growing so I can post a better picture.

Back
Top Bottom