What Is This On My Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I purchased 3 pieces of LR from a LFS that was brought in by another customer whom took down his tank.

The rock is COVERED in Coralline algae, and I also found a couple of these things..... (See Picture Below)

I wanted to find out what they are, if they are good or bad? Another piece had a Green thing that looked kind of like these, and the LFS said they are some type of anenome (I forget what he called it), and said they were bad, and I would want to kill it before putting it into my tank. Thus the reason I didn't buy the other piece.

So I just wanted to find out what this was...

-TheChad

Attachments

• 102_1324_864.jpg
    102_1324_864.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 57
Looks looks a bit like aptasia, could that be what they told you? It also could be a curly que but a better photo is necessary. I'm torn between the two. Maybe a pic with more light would help. If it is aptasia, you'll want to get rid of them.

I have a $600 Digital camera, but I have taken 100's of pictures of my aquarium, and I can't get a clear picture.

Here's another picture I took, Hope it's a little better.

The other one I have on the other rock, has rings on its tentacles.

Doesn't sound soo good. Sounds like I imported bad stuff into my tank.

-TheChad

Attachments

• 102_1341_129.jpg
    102_1341_129.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 34
Thats' a bit better. I'd say aptasia or majano anemone. I'd start getting rid of them. Once they acclimate and get comfy in your tank, they will begin to multiply.

Do a search on aptasia, you should get alot of results with helpful info. This link will help as well. Good luck.
http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=483

Fluff said:
Thats' a bit better. I'd say aptasia or majano anemone. I'd start getting rid of them. Once they acclimate and get comfy in your tank, they will begin to multiply.

Do a search on aptasia, you should get alot of results with helpful info. This link will help as well. Good luck.
http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=483

Just curious, What is wrong with them?

Can you just pull them off?

I also ound about 4 feather duster like things in the rocks today. They are pretty small, and I couldn't get a picture of them, but they are in a little tube about 1/8" long, and have a feather top, they look white with some stripes on the feathers.

Hopefully these are good?

Thanks,

-TheChad

TheChad said:
I also ound about 4 feather duster like things in the rocks today. They are pretty small, and I couldn't get a picture of them, but they are in a little tube about 1/8" long, and have a feather top, they look white with some stripes on the feathers.

Hopefully these are good?

They are very good. Good filter feeders

After reading all your suggestions, It sounds like Joes Juice is the only real 1 application solution.

Now I Just need to find a place that sells it.

Thankfully I only have a couple to deal with.

How can you tell if they are alive or dead?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I believe on the Joe's Juice website there is a video showing the process. They should shrivel up and die. I've been fortunate enough to not have ever had to use it but I'd say if after a few days if they open back up, you know another application is necessary. From what I've heard and read though, it's supposed to be super easy and efficient.

I had some tiny leftover syringes from our vet for our bird, and ended up using them to inject some Kent Pro-Buffer dKH into a couple of aiptasia I had.
They completely disintegrated before my eyes.
If you happen to use that buffer anyway, you might want to give it a shot before buying anything new.

you just shoot some jj into their mouths before they can close up on you and they will dissapear. i had two on a new piece of lr, i juiced them and they retracted down into the rock never to be seen again. now i use the syringe to spot feed, until i need it again.

There's also a product called "Aptasia Control" made by Blue Life. I've used it on about 5 smallish aptasias before I got my peppermint shrimp. Worked great. It's a white gooey paste (maybe Ca Hydroxide?) that you just goop over the thing. No injecting involved. Reef safe and works great.

My nearest LFS had "Aptasia Control" and not Joe's Juice, so I just got the first stuff I could find! From what I've heard, Joe's Juice works pretty darn good too!

As many of you suggested I ordered some Joe's Juice last week and received it yesterday. I Have already killed 3 Aptasia's with it, They die in seconds. That stuff works great!

I wanted to ask do I need to kill them as soon as I spot them when they are small, or can I wait till they grow a little? The reason I ask this is because there are a few more that have poped up but they are pretty small and applying Joe's Juice to them will be VERY hard when they are soo small.

Also I wanted to make sure that this Joe's Juice is safe for my corals? I know the company says it is, But the reason I ask is because there are a few small one's in my patch of Star Polyps, and I don't want to hurt my polyps at all, incase a little gets on them or is floating around the water.

Even though they don't say what's in it, I am assuming its some sort of Calcium since its a milky stuff.

Thanks all,

-TheChad

I've used JJ with great results! Most of the time your LFS will carry it, if not there is always Ebay!! Great product and only takes a little bit to do the job!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom