What is this plant!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my planted tank has been coming along very well, however I planted a random balb I revived accidentally and it sprouted a plant that is doing very well.. However I can't figure out what it is...

image-1109285990.jpg

Please note the stem in the middle hAs broken the surface and flowered.

Looks like an aponogeton. Not sure the species. They are very commonly sprouted from bulbs. Mine flowers regularly.

Oh I looked that up and I think you're right, thank you! Also do you know how to propagate it? Or is it different from all other aquatic plants?

Well the flowers are one way, never tried pollenating them though. I'm not totally sure, but I'm pretty sure they send out runners up in the water. Mine has only sent up flowers but I hope it decides to give me a runner soon. Also once they get big enough you can probably split the rhizome.

Hmm I can't imagine those tiny flowers producing bulbs? And runners would be really nice my amazon sword puts them out consistently and they're great IMO.

Do they have to be pollinated inorder to sprout new bulbs??

Likely a Cryptocoryne

Hello, my planted tank has been coming along very well, however I planted a random balb I revived accidentally and it sprouted a plant that is doing very well.. However I can't figure out what it is...

View attachment 184795

Please note the stem in the middle hAs broken the surface and flowered.

Looks very much a cryptocoryne. I would almost say

-Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia

aquarium_plant_cryptocoryne_pontederiifolia.html

Where did you get the bulb from? I got a pack of bulbs from wal mart there was 5 and I got 3 to sprout they grew like weeds and sent up flower after flower but never sent runners nor did they have babies pop up. They were labeled hybrid hardy aponogenton bulbs I think there closest to aponogenton crispus. Look that up you will probablly have a match.

There was a torn up package on the floor of petsmart and an employee was throwing it away and I asked him if I could have them and I got-em.. Only one bulb sprouted tho, I think you're right tho about the type. I Hope it propagates, because right now it's growing like crazy, probably 2 new leaves a day plus it sent a second flower up!

There was a torn up package on the floor of petsmart and an employee was throwing it away and I asked him if I could have them and I got-em.. Only one bulb sprouted tho, I think you're right tho about the type. I Hope it propagates, because right now it's growing like crazy, probably 2 new leaves a day plus it sent a second flower up!

It's definatley an aponogenton then.

it's an aponogeton. the bulb structure(at least what it seems to be) differentiate itself from a crypt

How are the ones you just got doing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom