What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a PWC today and moved some plants around. Whilst stirring the gravel up I noticed a few of these. One crawled straight back under the gravel. This one stayed on top and for 5 mins crawled all around the tank.

My fish charged at it and pulled away at last moment and made no attempts to eat it (mollies guppies)

Is it an adult brine shrimp?

e8n6nt.jpg
[/IMG]

Its not brine shrimp lol. It seems to be some kind of larvae (stonefly, dragonfly damselfly, etc.) I had one similar in my tank and I came home with a damselfly on my window lol.

Its not brine shrimp lol. It seems to be some kind of larvae (stonefly, dragonfly damselfly, etc.) I had one similar in my tank and I came home with a damselfly on my window lol.

Well I suggested BS as thats mainly the only live food I feed them apart from daphina and blood word.

So do I get rid of quickly? Does it pose any danger to my tank? Like I said theres at least another one in there. Also they can swin as when I had it in the glass to take a pic it was quite happy to swim about

and if its larvae what the heck is it going to develop into?

hmm, I wouldn't think it would hurt anything ime. I'd be cautious tho. If you want to take it out put it in a pond or something. That beetle is a little too fat to be your bug imo lol.

hmm, I wouldn't think it would hurt anything ime. I'd be cautious tho. If you want to take it out put it in a pond or something. That beetle is a little too fat to be your bug imo lol.

Well I was going on the larvae pic on the link you gave me. I got the one I caught in a bag floating in the tank. it's the other one I'm going to have trouble with.

Where would I get the larvae from? I have no real snails and the gravel was brand new ages ago.....

plus the tank is hooded and very well hooded!

I had something like that in my tank once. Ironically it was a month and a half into my cycle and seemed to be the only thing that survived my pH plummeting. It just appeared one day outta no where. I removed it to a seperate container where it died shortly thereafter. The closest ID i could come for it was a dragonfly larvae.

I had something like that in my tank once. Ironically it was a month and a half into my cycle and seemed to be the only thing that survived my pH plummeting. It just appeared one day outta no where. I removed it to a seperate container where it died shortly thereafter. The closest ID i could come for it was a dragonfly larvae.

I googled dragonfly larvae and they seem a bit plumper and shorter than my specimen

this is never a good idea. as said often here. Do Not Ever Release Anything From Your Tank Into The Wild.
Well I suggested BS as thats mainly the only live food I feed them apart from daphina and blood word.

So do I get rid of quickly? Does it pose any danger to my tank? Like I said theres at least another one in there. Also they can swin as when I had it in the glass to take a pic it was quite happy to swim about

and if its larvae what the heck is it going to develop into?
i would get rid of it asap. if you really want to experiment on it put it in its own container or something.

It is probably a nymph of a dragonfly of some type maybe even a damsel they are predatory and you should keep your eyes out for more. They usually come in on plants as eggs or larva they can take several months to turn into adults.

That is just as bad. Its still outside of the (mostly) closed ecosystems we create in glass boxes. Not only could you be releasing an invasive and destructive species into the environment, but you may also be releasing parisites, bacteria, etc that the ecosystem of that area is not prepared to handle.

Google "Snakehead fish Maryland" or "burmse python everglades" or "Asian Long-Horned Beetle New York" to see what happens when someone thinks its okay to drop a captive creature into the wild.

When ever I say into a pond I mean a pond that you own not one out in the wild lol.

Well I noticed my fish going berserk and I saw them chamsing a much fater and longer version of this around in the tank. Remember I saw 2 and got one out but couldn't find the other one.

I fished him out and he's now a dragon fly! Still haven't a clue how he got in there as it has been a good 5 months before that I last had live plants in there!

Back
Top Bottom