What is this????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just tried another experiment. A 2 drops of ammonia in a 1/2 cup water. It seems to effective kill them as well. Thinking maybe ill move my boys & dose the tank with ammonia for a couple of days (or longer). It wont harm the plants & will keep it cycled while these gross things are hopefully killed off. I keep finding more of them...

Thanks! The reassurance is appreciated because it seems no one has dealt with this 'problem' before & im really not sure what to do!!!

100_2988.jpg

Ugh....had to remove ALL of my plants & decor. They are soaking in an ammonia bath. Leeches everywhere!!!! Draining the tank now then its time for an ammonia bath for the substrate to kill off the rest of them.... :(

Wow, this is a first! Never seen this before.

When you say infestation, how many are you talking? It is crazy to think you could go from nothing to an infestation in such a small amount of time.

All i can think is that the snails i added 2wks ago brought them in because its the only new thing ive added in months. Ive probably found over 50 total!! Just finished dosing the substrate with ammonia...already finding floating dead leeches as i mix it into the gravel & sand. I really hope this kills any possibility for future leeches!

Some of the carnage in the kitchen sink as i remove the bodies.....

Attachments

• 100_2989.jpg
    100_2989.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 96
I think they are gone!!!! But, my plants did not fair as well with the ammonia bath. Alot of them turned black or became translucent. I guess it was a bit too much ammonia in the bath but my fish come first! Time for some new plants!! :)

I was cleaning sand tonight for my new tank and every time I saw a little black thing I thought of your post here and cringed. I'm glad to hear you got all those lil buggers out, sorry about the plants though.

Thanks!!! The plants are easy to replace & i am debating whether i should toss them anyway in fear of something 'surviving' the toxic ammonia bath! This really has been horrific!!!

Ok. I am now TOTALLY paranoid about this leech problem. I saw a small pond snail inching up the tank a little while ago. My husband suggested that it probably came from the filters because nothing survived the ammonia bath. I am now wondering if their are leeches or leech eggs in the filters/filter media.....

Is this leach issue only in one of your tanks? If so, I see you have many tanks, toss that filter media, scrub that filter and grab a bit of media from the other tanks and deal with the mini-cycle in the problem tank.

Only this tank, TG!!!!! I think the filters/media are headed for a toxic ammonia bath now, too. I just need to get some more tommorrow! Can i say again how truly horrific this has been?!!! And i am now paranoid that there leeches living in my boys' gills now as well (thanks, google!)! Time to find a flashlight!

Back
Top Bottom