What is wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLGriffo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I am a beginner, and novice fish keeper with a 24 litre tank that is home to two goldfish.

Firstly, the water keeps going cloudy even after a number of water changes and also, the filter is far too powerfull causing my fish to struggle to swim, I am worried for their health and inreally need some help thank you

That a 6 gallon tank and truthfully is way to small for any size goldfish. It could be clouding up because of the extreme amount of waste they produce. What size/kind of filter do you have on their tank?

The tank has been set up for around 3-4 days now, and the filter was came with the tank that I bought, the name of the filter is a Q116 from Pets at Home UK

JLGriffo said:
Hey everyone. I am a beginner, and novice fish keeper with a 24 litre tank that is home to two goldfish.

Firstly, the water keeps going cloudy even after a number of water changes and also, the filter is far too powerfull causing my fish to struggle to swim, I am worried for their health and inreally need some help thank you

As Rivercats stated that size tank is too small for 2 Goldfish. What we're not told by most fish/pet stores is that one Goldfish requires 20g & each additional another 10g so for 2 Goldie's you should have a 30g tank. They are big waste producers & the fact your tank is new is probably why your tank is getting cloudy. You'll always have water quality issues if you keep them in that sized tank. Are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Have you read about cycling a tank? If possible I would return them for something more appropriate for your tank size.

Hi and welcome. A 6 gal is way too small for even one goldie, let alone two. Plus the tank isn't cycled and goldies are messy; they require a lot of filtration and in a tank that small and uncycled the ammonia levels are going to rise too quickly to keep them safe. You should either upgrade ASAP to a 30 gal minimum (assuming they are fancy goldfish; comets, commons and koi get too large for aquaria and need to be in ponds) or return the fish and read up on fish care and start over. Here are some guides for you to read; one is written by JLK who is a member here and an expert on goldfish:
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I feel really bad now :/ stupid person i am, thank you for all the information however and I will get back to you all promptly

JLGriffo said:
I feel really bad now :/ stupid person i am, thank you for all the information however and I will get back to you all promptly

Don't get down about it, even seasoned aquarists make mistakes. I know I do. Just do the responsible thing. Take them back to the pet store or rehome them somehow. Your options with a 6 gallon tank are limited but if you want you could have a great setup. Research smaller fish. A betta is a wonderful idea. You could have a betta with some dwarf frogs, shrimp, snails and other things. There are several things you can do. The key is research research research.

Back
Top Bottom