What is your most valuable aquarium device/tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are devices/tools that you use for your aquarium (for, feeding, maintenance, etc.) that, in your opinion, is "must have" for every aquarium keeper?
I will start with my 2-month experience in this hobby:
1. PYTHON siphon: Though it took me some time to figure out how to use it for sucking water out of the tank, it is a "must have" for everyone, who owns a tank bigger than 20g. Having a bucket for emergency in contrast to using it for every water change is a relief.
2. MAG-FLOAT floating magnetic aquarium cleaner. I bought a bunch of scrapers, cleaning pads, and other tools to clean the glass, but all of it sits in a corner of a cabinet since a large MAG-FLOAT does great job without any mess.

1.MAG-FLOAT because they're easy to use and they float so that you can easily take it out of the tank.

2.Battery operated air pumps especially if you live in an area where power goes out a lot of times.

Ditto
1. Python. I change 30-40 gallons of water weekly. I'd be lost without it.
2. Master Test Kit (AP) - What decent aquarist could do without a test kit?

The Python for sure is a must (150g), but as I just "planted" my tank, I am very
greatful to my "long reach tongs". The tank is 27" deep, sure was handy! :mrgreen:

Double ditto.

1. Python
2. Test Kit - may have to buy separate test for nitrates.
3. I also keep a log on each tank. That way I can keep track of what I've done, when I bought fish/equipment, etc... as well as help me track when my fish are not acting normal. I have excellent memory, it just doesn't last very long, so I need all the help I can get to remember what I've done. :?

1. My timer for my lights. I never forget to turn them on or off.
2 Towels. I too make quite a mess when doing maintanance.

Python

For planted tanks:
A good ml dropper
Digital pH meter
Test kits for Nitrate, Phosphate, kH, gH, ca

1. Python
2. Lots of towels
3. Tile floor where aquarium is located
4. Canister filter

Lots of towels! -- and a plastic dropcloth to cover my hardwood floors

A fish-only measuring cup (to boil veggies)

A digital thermometer -- from the kitchen store

A bucket clip (my tank is too small for a python) so this clip keeps the gravel vac tube from jumping out of the bucket. But yes, it happened once and made a mess before I got the clip!

Regular drinking straws -- to easily get just the right amount of water to do a test!

Gravel Vac and hose
Buckets
Timers
Digital Thermometer
Eye Dropper and Turkey Baster

A supported and understanding wife when it comes to shelling out the $$$$$$$$$ :wink:

A supported and understanding wife when it comes to shelling out the $$$$$$$$$
:lol: Same here(well, husband)!! An understanding spouse is very important!

1.I would say a few good buckets is crucial.
2.gravel vac
3.salt
4.strip reagent water testers
5.magnetic algae scraper
6.good quality AC

ok, im kinda new at this, i have a gravel siphon, what is a python? i have a 55 gallon. And also, what is a mag-float? My pleco does a good job at keeping the sides clean from algea.

1. Wonderfully understanding Wife (although she doesn't share my love for awuaria, she still likes the tanks and is VERY supportive of me in my "hobby" as she puts it.
2. Mag-Float
3. Syringe (for getting the right amount of water for testing as well as dosing the tank with pretty much anything)
4. lots-o-buckets
5. lots-o-towels

AshleyNicole said:
ok, im kinda new at this, i have a gravel siphon, what is a python? i have a 55 gallon. And also, what is a mag-float? My pleco does a good job at keeping the sides clean from algea.

python - a device you attach to a tap so you can fill & drain the tank without using buckets - personally I use a gravel vac with a long hose for the same purpose.

mag-float - algae scrubber with a magnet so you can use it without getting your hand wet.

dr_girlfriend said:
A supported and understanding wife when it comes to shelling out the $$$$$$$$$
:lol: Same here(well, husband)!! An understanding spouse is very important!

1.I would say a few good buckets is crucial.
3.salt
6.good quality AC

I was just wondering about these three because I don't use any of them. Why are they the most crucial items for your tank?

Back
Top Bottom