What is your personal experience with Tiger Barbs in a large shoal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tiger barbs swim in top middle and bottom of tank. They are active and all over the place.

large shoals, space for the barbs to swim play and chase, plants and areas for other fish to hide just in case one of the barbs decides to be a bully.

I find my barbs spend their time all over the tank and like to feed off the bottom gravel, and dont bother my cory catfish or shrimps. Also feed them shell less peas and boiled zucchine and blood worms or baby brine shrimp every now and then. They love shell less peas!

Here's my barb tank, shrimps are behind the fossile tree and the cory catfish are eating of the back plants, can't see in the pic though
DSC_0365-e1388936025765.jpg

Are the Cory's still active in the tiger tank? 5 days is a proof of concept that it could work but not necessarily proof in itself. Still very interesting though. I might give it a shot, I'll just make sure to have a backup tank just in case.

Beautiful tank by the way

I had 11 tiger barbs in my 55g. I added 2 bolivian rams, an they got it pretty bad. So I took the barbs back and got 2 more rams.

I had 11 tiger barbs in my 55g. I added 2 bolivian rams, an they got it pretty bad. So I took the barbs back and got 2 more rams.

I'm thinking I would add the tiger barbs last, I'm thinking this would help with the aggression bit.

I'm still weighing up my options, does anyone know of any fish with the personality of tiger barbs but without the nippiness?

My Odessa barbs are full out crazy without the aggression, slightly larger than tigers though, 3" or so..

always have found them to harass most of the other fish
Odessa's? I have 2 m 2 f, the females can be a bit pushy with the males, they are the largest fish in the tank but I never really see them bothering anyone else other than steamrolling during feeding..

Odessa's? I have 2 m 2 f, the females can be a bit pushy with the males, they are the largest fish in the tank but I never really see them bothering anyone else other than steamrolling during feeding..

I've been reading they like colder water (64-71), is this true? If so, could they be kept in 75 degree water? 75 would be a happy medium with the other troical fish.

I've been reading they like colder water (64-71), is this true? If so, could they be kept in 75 degree water? 75 would be a happy medium with the other troical fish.
Keep mine at 78-79 no problems yet.

My room mate has a school of 7 tigers with 2 angels and approx 6 danios. The tigers pick at the angels (not doing any damage) until they loss the angels off and they start chasing everything in the tank around.

My room mate has a school of 7 tigers with 2 angels and approx 6 danios. The tigers pick at the angels (not doing any damage) until they loss the angels off and they start chasing everything in the tank around.

What size tank do you have? From what I'm gathering in this thread, they seem to be less nippy and more peaceful in larger 3-4 foot aquariums.

Are the Cory's still active in the tiger tank? 5 days is a proof of concept that it could work but not necessarily proof in itself. Still very interesting though. I might give it a shot, I'll just make sure to have a backup tank just in case.

Beautiful tank by the way

So far so good, they are swimming around, eating off the gravel and sand and every now and then when I feed they will dart up and grab something b4 the barbs do. Barbs don't bother them at all, although today they have been kissing and dancing all day... lol

What size tank do you have? From what I'm gathering in this thread, they seem to be less nippy and more peaceful in larger 3-4 foot aquariums.

well wouldn't you been more happy in a larger environment then having to sit next to something tempting in a small environment xD hehehe

Anyways hope you find your solution and get barbs, they are simply awesome! Love them so much that i am thinking to put them in my bigger tank and add more LOL! (bigger tank is my new tank which has 0 fish as its currently cycling.. although snails have turned up with no plants -_-...... )

well wouldn't you been more happy in a larger environment then having to sit next to something tempting in a small environment xD hehehe

Anyways hope you find your solution and get barbs, they are simply awesome! Love them so much that i am thinking to put them in my bigger tank and add more LOL! (bigger tank is my new tank which has 0 fish as its currently cycling.. although snails have turned up with no plants -_-...... )

Haha I definitely want to give my fishes plenty of room and keep them happy :fish2:

I have a 75 long so I think they'll be comfortable. (y)
I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm in no rush though lol. I will post an update with my tank stocking.

Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom