What k value gives the best acropora colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey squishyfish, 3 400 watts huh, have you seen how bright they are? i have 3 400 watts and 4x65 antics and WOW! i had to build a piece in front so that it didnt blind me lol. but it works great.

I have seen how bright they are on the LFS tanks, but that is a whole different situation! I'm pretty sure they will rock the tank. Granted I may have to invest in a good set of welding goggles to look at the tank!

This is how I am going to set it up...tell me what you think.

its a 175 bow. I am going to take the canopy and trace the outline onto a piece of 1/2 ply (maybe 3/4 inch). That way I have the "footprint." then I am going to fit it with a lip to rest on and trim the sides w/ birch veneer. Basically what I'm doing is building a cap to go on the cap! Then I will paint it black to match.

This will allow me to retro all of my lights (including 2 vho actinics), and two exhaust fans into the top and still have it look "stock." Its vented on the back and will have two exhaust fans...should work like a charm. I can put a door on the front on hinges for access and handles on each end (top) so I cant just lift it off. I can wait to start the project!

Just wondering but isn't watts per gallon some what a waste of time. I mean a better thing to look at is par, which I see you guys mentioned but you guys haven't put much weight to it.
I just think that watts per gallon is a big waste of time. For example....

400w of PC doesn't even come close to 400w MH, the par is nowhere in the same area.

I just think ppl should reference more to par, instead of watts per gallon, its just a better judge of what you need.

thanks
JR

I just think ppl should reference more to par, instead of watts per gallon, its just a better judge of what you need.

I wholeheartedly agree, the problem is every manufacturer tells you how many watts the bulb consumes and no manufacturer tells you the par of their bulb. So unless you have a PAR meter and have tested each and every bulb...it becomes difficult to recommend lighting by PAR.

Back
Top Bottom