What kind of algae is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bschowa

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391210165.649070.jpg

Does anyone know? I suck if off the sandbed and it grows right back. It does not grow on anything other than the sand. I let this patch sit for 3 days and now there is long strands coming from it.

Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyanobacteria is caused by a nutrient issue in a tank. You can address it by working on lowering nitrates/phosphates in your tank, just like an algae outbreak, but with siphoning it out like you are doing already. Articles about algae control are in my signature.

I don't know about the OP but I know my problem isn't nutrients. My tank has been fallow for a month. So it gets fed once a week just so the inverts have a little food. I'm running phosgaurd and carbon in my reactors. My coral growth has exploded since I've gone fallow though

This would require large water changes to get the nitrates/phosphates out of the water column. A 10% water change will only take 10% of the nitrates out. So, if your nitrates are at 40, after a 10% water change you are still left with 36! This is why 10% is part of normal maintenance, rather than a solution to algae or cyano issues. You need large water changes with ro/di water to make sure the water you are switching out doesn't have any of the nitrate/phosphates in the replacement water.
Products like phosguard, purigen, GFO are great products to assist with keeping these levels down. But they aren't overall solutions, just like chemipure isn't a solution to cyano...only removes it for a short time unless what is causing it is addressed.
In my signature are 2 articles about algae issues. Following these steps will also lead you towards successfully winning the war over cyano.

I do a 25 gallon water change every Saturday with rodi water reading 0 tds. I have a large amount of cheato in my large skimmer rated for 265 gallons on my 150 which only has inverts and coral. I also have about 250 pounds of live rock. My system has been set up since October

How is your flow? If flow isn't sufficient, you may have built up a lot of detritus in the rock scape. I don't trust hobby grade test kits. My tanks aren't really displays so i don't really care much if there is algae in them, as long as it doesn't overgrow the corals, but I haven't had a single fish in the system for months, and I have grown quite the bubble algae colony.

Phosban worked well when we had the same problem. Once we purchased our phosphate reactor all algae problems were eliminated totally.

Back
Top Bottom