What kind of Gourami is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently picked up two honey gouramis from my LFS but now I’m not so certain they are actually honies. I have a suspicion that they might be sunset thicklip gouramis. I would say they are both about 1.5 - 2 inches. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Attachments

• FFA78BA0-21EE-4AB3-8ABE-26B1705199AD.jpg
    FFA78BA0-21EE-4AB3-8ABE-26B1705199AD.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 16
I recently picked up two honey gouramis from my LFS but now I’m not so certain they are actually honies. I have a suspicion that they might be sunset thicklip gouramis. I would say they are both about 1.5 - 2 inches. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Very possibly a hybrid. Farms have mixed the Honeys to make them more hardy so I don't think there are many true Honeys out there. :whistle:

Could be a honey x thick lipped gourami. These are becoming more common. The other issue is the suppliers are breeding both species (honey & thick lipped) separately but in the same colour forms. So shops buy in a colour form of honey gourami but get the colour form of the thick lipped gourami.

Generally the honey gourami is a bit shorter in length and the thick lipped is longer and has fatter lips, similar to yours.

Back
Top Bottom