What more can I do to be reef ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so the time has almost come for me to start getting come corals. I just ordered some T5 lighting (250w) to add to my current 108w system for a total of 358w

My water parameters are very stable. I only have to check them really every 2 weeks or so. However, the only test kits I have now are Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and pH. I know I need calcium and something else.

My water change schedule is usually 30% every 2 weeks.

What else can I do to prepare myself for the transition from FOWLR to coral? I know that I will have to be running water tests daily to make sure the corals are happy, and maybe more frequent water changes (10-15% weekly?)

Sounds perfect, i would start with some simple zoas and lower light corals. See how they fare, then build your way up. Coral is a whole new game, prepare to become more obsessed. Remember that T5's don't penetrate as far as other lights, so the higher light coral you get, the higher in the tank it has to go.

You may also want a Mg test, but thats much further down the road when you have tons of corals constantly munching away at your trace elements.

I don't think daily water tests are necessary. If you know your tank is stable, then it should be fine. You should check your Ca level, you may have to do a bpunch of PWC to get it up where it needs to be.

You've never treated with copper right?

Nope, never treated it with copper.

I'm only doing T5's because my friend can get all the lighting wholesale, so he got me a $150 off hookup =P.

Nope, never treated it with copper.

I'm only doing T5's because my friend can get all the lighting wholesale, so he got me a $150 off hookup =P.

Nice, always good to have a friend on the inside!

Back
Top Bottom