What plants would be good for a Pea Puffer tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two pea puffers and I'm setting up a new 10 gallon tank for them as the 5.5 I had them in was way too tiny, and they're doing alright in my 20 long community tank, but I've done more research and talked to more people, and I've come to the conclusion that they'd be better off in a species-only tank, so that's what I'm doing.

I got a new heater and light for a 10 gallon tank I had lying around from a previous build, and I'm using a Top Fin internal filter rated for 5-10 gallons that I had in my 20 long to circulate water on the far side of the tank as the main filter, but I think I'm just going to get a second HOB for the other side of the long. Anyway, the substrate is Fluval Stratum, which I'm hoping will help keep the PH down a little easier since the water from the well at my house is naturally pretty high, 7.8-8.0. I'm trying out the API Water Softener Pillow in my long tank, but I don't know if it's working yet as I just added it this evening.

I've added a couple small plants, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. One I know is dwarf sag and another is a small banana plant, but I can't remember the names of the other two. One looks like dwarf hair grass, but is about 4 inches tall, and the other, all I know about it is that it is a single stalk with small, round leaves and it produces cute little flowers.

I want this tank to be very lush and green for my puffers (I want to grow the plants pretty densely before transferring my fish over if I can), so what kind of plants do you suggest? I really like plants with broad leaves, as well as carpeting plants, but I have yet to figure out how to actually get them to carpet:/

Also, where is a pretty reputable place to order plants online for a good price? I've never ordered them online, besides marimo balls off eBay, but the Petco and Petsmart as well as the LFS in my area don't have a very good selection and they're a little pricey.

Thank you for your help!

Your pH isn't bad. Fish adapt to pH. TDS would be more important along with KH and GH. I'm not a big plant guy outside of simple low light plants. If you are interested in plants that require co2 then I also wouldn't worry about your pH. co2 will lower your pH.

Order your plants from members here. It's cheaper and they take good care of them. Goatnad and Tunamanphd are two members who sell quite a bit of plants and variety. PM them.

What's the best way to fertilize? I've read a little about CO2 and I know there's liquid fertilizers, but I honestly don't know the first thing about either or how they work, and the more I read the more confused I get.

I use the liquid fertilizer called Thrive. The instructions is 1 pump (bottle with a pump top) per 10 gallons of water. There is also root tab fertilizer that you can put in your gravel/substrate. There's members here who make thier own root tab fertilizers out of pill capsules. Maybe they can chime in. I virtually know nothing about co2 in aquariums as I don't keep high tech/light plants. A member named ZxC has it down to a science and I'm sure he could help you if you PM him.

I used narrow and broad leaf java ferns,crypts and anubias I this tank. The “carpet” is a flattened moss ball. It is great for target feeding your puffs. In planted tanks algae can be a problem so I have Amano shrimp that keep it clean. Puff hasn’t eaten them yet. IMG_0261.jpg

I used narrow and broad leaf java ferns,crypts and anubias I this tank. The “carpet” is a flattened moss ball. It is great for target feeding your puffs. In planted tanks algae can be a problem so I have Amano shrimp that keep it clean. Puff hasn’t eaten them yet. View attachment 311520

That looks absolutely stunning! Did you attach the moss ball to anything or does it just stay there? Also does opening it up and flattening it out affect its growth rates and patterns at all?

It just sort of stays put on the bottom as long as it’s saturated. When I first opened up the ball the edges were a bit irregular. But it has sort of filled in the edges and I would swear it’s bigger.

Back
Top Bottom