what sand do i use as substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be setting up a twenty long soon, and just wanted to know what kind of sand I should use....

Pool Filter Sand (PFS) is used by a lot of people; I changed my tank over to CaribSea sand and I like it a lot. Just rinse the dickens out of the sand or else you're tank will be very cloudy for a while until it settles (and maybe even then lol).

I got pool filter sand in my tank. Its easy to maintain, looks natural, plants grow well in it and its cheap. Just wash it very well and leave it for a few days for the cloudiness to settle.

ok, how many pounds of poo filter sand do you think I should get?

maxwellag said:
ok, how many pounds of poo filter sand do you think I should get?

They normally come in 50lb bags...that'll be more than enough. I only needed one bag for my 46 gallon bow.

Oh. Thanks for the help. :) I have been wanting to take out the blue gravel in my ten gallon, and put sand in there instead. I will get a 50 pound bag and use most of it for the twenty long, but some of it for the ten, and maybe even my five gallon.

PFS or play sand from home depot are both very good options and very cheap! I picked up a 50lbs bag of play sand this weekend for ~$3.00
I use both PFS and play sand and the only difference I've seen between them is that the play sand took a longer time to clean, but looks a bit more natural in the aquarium since it's a bit darker.

I used spectra sand which was bought from an industrial gravel company.

I didn't have to rinse this sand.
I threw it in my tank with NO CLOUDING.
I siphon with the head of the siphon touching the sand and it won't get sucked up too much. I only lose a pinch of sand. Easy cleaning overall.

Overall, I feel like I'm having an easier time with this sand than hearing about people telling me that they have to spend their a few hours rinsing and few days waiting for clouding to go away.

Back
Top Bottom