What size filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm less than happy with the bio-wheel that I'm currently using on my 29 gallon tank. I'm looking at the Rena canister filters that I read so much about on this site. If you go by the size of tank, an XP1 should be big enough.

Will an XP2 be too much filter?

I don't think I will be keeping the bio-wheel and will be using only the XP*

Yes I think the XP2 will be fine as well. I have a couple of XP3s, but for a 29, the output pressure may be too strong for a 29g, but the XP2 should be perfect.

For the extra 10 bucks, get the XP3. I have one on my 29g and its great. The extra media basket is great for filter floss or whatever floats your boat. You can't go wrong getting bigger in this case :)

The manufacturers generally seem to overrate filters horsepower. I have a 20 gallon long, and no way would one of those dinky filters (marked for 20G) work. As it stands now, I have TWO HOB filters, turned down to about 25% flow and they've worked great for years.

I saw a Rena HOB filter for the first time this week. It looks like a high tech version of the stand HOB filters. It forces the water to go through the different compartments for maximum filtering. The thing is huge.

Back
Top Bottom