What size tank to upgrade to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright everybody so I'm in the market now for a bigger tank, I want to get my stingray out of the 125 gallon he's in now. I'm not to desperate because he's still relatively a smaller size so he's ok in the 125 gallon. Definitely with in the next couple months or maybe sooner. Anyway my question is what is better to have for a stingray? A longer tank that's wider and not so tall, or a tall and long tank that's not so wide? I'm assuming a wider tank with some length is the way to go. I assume stingrays don't need so much height?
I've had my eye on craiglist but haven't seen much lately in the bigger tank market.

Steve

Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums

I ended up going for a 180 gallon! I was gonna go for a 240 gallon, but 60 more gallons means more water for water changes and I can barely afford my RO-DI water as it is even with making it myself. So I think 180 will be perfect and I ordered it from glasscages.com which I believe someone on here recommended! Is $750 a good price with lids and two internal overflows? I passed on the stand as I usually make my own stand. I will begin my transition journey from my current tank to the 180 gallon! It's going to be tough to move all of my live rock, my ray and all my current equipment right to the 180. Unfortunately I can't cycle the 180 first hand because I need the rock and refugium from the 125 gallon. How do I go about moving all my stuff and setting up the 180? Should I have a smaller tank precycled for the ray to sit in while I get the 180 going for a couple a days with the stuff from my current tank?

Steve

Attachments

• 180wide.jpg
    180wide.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
That's not much bigger as far as the stingray is concerned. It's only 6" deeper, front to back, than a standard 6' 125.

When transferring to the new tank, you can just move everything right over and you shouldn't have any kind of cycle. I would just recommend if you have sand and plan on reusing it, to thoroughly wash it out with freshwater before you put it in the new tank. The f/w might kill some good critters living in the sand, but it's a better alternative than possibly releasing all the crap that accululated in the sand and causing an ammonia spike and a cycle.

You're correct in that it's only 6" wider and 6" taller, however my LFS told me that it doesn't matter even if I went for a 240 or a 300 24" is the widest they come, unless of course you custom order a tank which he said will cost thousands of dollars. He also reassured me even though it may only be 6" more wider and taller, the stingray will appreciate the more room he's going to have. I wouldn't even have the funds to to go for a larger custom built tank. This will have to do for now. I think it's going to work out, I'm very excited!

Steve

On that page they had a 190-4 wide that was 48x36x25 tall. So 24" isn't the widest they come. Although it was about $200 more lol.

Yeah but 48" long isn't what I need, I need 6 ft long and I believe when you buy a 72" 6 ft tank 24" is the widest they come when ordered in that configuration.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom