What the heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got an Amono shrimp for my 2.5 g betta. This was my secon go at shrimp. I had previously gotten a ghost shrimp and it died writhing 10 minutes after being released. That was when I had no betta or plants. I had released my Amono at 8:30 and now at 9:10 it is dead I saw him swimming around went to the bathroom came back and he was dead!!!! WTF!!!!! What am I doing!! I just tested the water
Ph 6.7
Amo 0
Ite .1
Ate 5
I know my nitrites are up and I don't know why well, I do, I had just finished treating my betta for fin rot and it raised that up!

I just got an Amono shrimp for my 2.5 g betta. This was my secon go at shrimp. I had previously gotten a ghost shrimp and it died writhing 10 minutes after being released. That was when I had no betta or plants. I had released my Amono at 8:30 and now at 9:10 it is dead I saw him swimming around went to the bathroom came back and he was dead!!!! WTF!!!!! What am I doing!! I just tested the water
Ph 6.7
Amo 0
Ite .1
Ate 5
I know my nitrites are up and I don't know why well, I do, I had just finished treating my betta for fin rot and it raised that up!

How did you acclimate him?

I floated the bag for 1 hour then I get a cup full of the aquariums water and drip it from there to his bag that was floating

He didn't the shrimp was in full tact body wise he was not small so I can see

Pictures

Attachments

• image-2362944503.jpg
    image-2362944503.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image-835745142.jpg
    image-835745142.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 61
  • image-4123697866.jpg
    image-4123697866.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 62
Where did you get that rock and do you have anything in the tank that could possibly have copper in it?

Probably from the nitrites. They are super sensitive to water parameters. You need to keep shrimp in fully established tanks.
They also should* have a pH above 7 to help keep their shells thick and to help with molting. Something to keep in mind if you decide to try again. If you can't get the pH up try a piece of cuttlebone in the tank to give them some calcium for their shells to thicken that way.

Probably from the nitrites. They are super sensitive to water parameters. You need to keep shrimp in fully established tanks.
They also should* have a pH above 7 to help keep their shells thick and to help with molting. Something to keep in mind if you decide to try again. If you can't get the pH up try a piece of cuttlebone in the tank to give them some calcium for their shells to thicken that way.

That's what I thought I just did a 50% WC but the Betta is still fine so idk what is going on

I think the Betta can survive a fish-in cycle (or mini cycle after medication for his fin rot) much easier than a shrimp. Try in a few months and I bet the shrimp will do better. Also why not try red cherry shrimp?

I think the Betta can survive a fish-in cycle (or mini cycle after medication for his fin rot) much easier than a shrimp. Try in a few months and I bet the shrimp will do better. Also why not try red cherry shrimp?

The lady at my lfs said she has seen bettas with whole rcs in their mouth and j should see how he reacts with shrimp.

I put him in a jar so I could take care of him in the morning. He has starts to turn pink! He is in the same spot, sideways, but his tail has turned in. Is this normal?????

Sounds dead. My Betta does eat little RCS babies but my driftwood provides hiding places for most to escape.

Back
Top Bottom