What to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidberger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking to start a 29g acrylic tank.

Tank brand? sea clear or glass cages?

Finnex 150w? Or ebo jäger?

Aqua clear 50 or cannister/other hob?

Totally stumped on which light fixture to buy...

Thanks,

David

I like glass, acrylic can scratch easy. I think a combo of HBO and canister is optimal. But if you can only get one I would go with canister, always over filter. Cansiters have more media space, higher output, and can be hidden. As for a heater, I always get one that is more then the reccommended. If its a 29g get one that is rated for 50 or more and have a ajustable temp control so that if you need to turn up the temp for curing ceritan disease. As for lighting it depends if you plan on having plants.

If this is to be planted then lots of guys like Brian_Nano12G, billbug, and bud can help you. I probably didn't get their exact usernames right but you can find it if you PM them. Anyway, they, and others, get some rimless tanks with certain specs involving the amount of copper in the glass or something. I don't really get it but the tanks are fairly expensive but crystal clear. So you might want to look into that, if you decide against acrylic. I don't really know anything about acrylic though.

As far as heater go, the eheims are supposed to be good. On my 20 I use a aqueon submersible heater. It works really well so far and was pretty cheap. It's adjustable and has a pretty wide range (88 to 68 degrees fahrenheit).

A lot of people recommend the AC HOB filters. So an AC50 would definitely work on your tank. I also hear that the Fluval C series is good but pretty expensive.

If it is being planted than you have tons of choices for lighting. If not planted than it doesn't matter too much. But I personally love finnex for planted tanks. They have a Ray2 for your tank length I think, but I can't find PAR data on it (how bright the light is basically ;) ), but it'd probably get you close to high light. A fugeray 30" would give you medium-low light though, and they have a fugeray planted+ that could give you medium light, maybe more.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom