What to do about New Tank Syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't keep the Pleco in the 75 with the Oscar honestly I would do a fish in cycle in the 75 with the Oscar and get him out of the 20 gallon. But as far as filtration and heating goes. Try to get a 300 watt heater, for filtration I suggest either 2 aquaclear 110s or a canister filter like fluval fx5, Rena xp4.

Thank you, I started the cycle and after 5 days my water parameters are
Temp: 81.5
Ammonia: 0.25p.p.m.
Nitrite: 0.0p.p.pm
Nitrate: 5.0p.p.m
pH: 7.4

I just feel like these numbers are not normal for 5 days of cycling. In your opinion should I keep doing what im doing or am I messing something up?

Buy prime they sell it at every pet store and do frequent water changes

That should do it just do water changes every other day or as soon as you notice your ammonia, nitrates or nitrites rise above the safe limits and cut down on food , feed them once a day very little food

I have a 300w heater on my 75g $25 at my lfs for filtration I have an aquaclear 110. It seems to be good for now but I will probably add a second when my stocking goes up only have 10 small to medium fish in there right now. Don't have much experience with other filters but the ac110 seems to move a lot of water and I'm happy with its performance so far.

Once you have organised the correct fish you want in the correct size tanks this is how i do my cycle

2 fish in my tank
Double dose bacteria
Prime ( helps to detoxify ammonia/ nitrites/ nitrates until cycle near end and keeps fish safer)
Water treatment
Then look after my water and watch the nitrogen cycle from ammonia- nitrites-nitrates and also check my ph
And keep feeding to a minimum

Then i do regular water changes when required but no more than 30% every two days and re top up with prime, bacteria, water treatment

And keep looking after the water until 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and under 30 nitrates but really like nitrates under 10, and keep american cichlids so keep my ph around 7.0 neutral

I believe the old saying is true look after your water and your water will look after your fish

Good luck

You could also add part of someones cycled filter media to your filter if possible to make your cycle quicker or even some established substrate will help in a smaller way

Seachem prime but not all lfs sell it but at a push ring around and see who stocks it or ebay, and on my 75g tank i have 1x external 1200 lph, 2x overhead power 900lph each, and 1x eheim internal 200 litre pickup, but you could add more filtration to your needs as you go along in my view depending on how you stock your tank

Back
Top Bottom