what to do about the dirty gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukerom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I am at the end of cycling my tank and getting ready to put more fish in but I have a problem. The white gravel I have for the tank is getting really dirty. I change the water and vacuum the gravel weekly and it still is starting to look bad. I don't know what to do should I change the gravel for a darker color and how do I do that with out to much hassle and will it mess up my cycled tank? Do I cover the old gravel with new gravel? Is there a better way to clean it? I would like to get some more fish in there as soon as I can.
Thanks

I also have the same problem?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What color is the gravel? If its brown those are diotomes and will go away by themselves. They are very common in new tanks.

+1 to Fishdude's post.
Some fish, like plecos, and snails like to eat diatoms. So you might have that going for you.
I had the typical diatoms everywhere in a 20 long, and it only took two Nerite snails 24-36 hours to clean it all up.

How long do you leave your lights on a day? Diatoms photosynthesize, so excessive light can cause them to grow more than normal. I'm skeptical of diatoms "running their course" like so many people say, because I still get them in my 6 year old tank.
Getting a different colored gravel is definitely an option. The easiest time to make the switch would be now before you have fish. I used to have white gravel in my tank but I got rid of it because after a couple years the white paint started coming off and the rocks started turning brown and green, plus I wanted to move towards a more natural aquascape.

if it's just stuck on gunk and not diatoms you could try rubbing the gravel between your hands and seeing if that helps. I have white gravel and it doesn't look as good as fresh out of the bag, but it's still good and white....post a pic will you?

I have fish in the tank already should I just cover the gravel with new gravel.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398129785.451970.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398129785.451970.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 65
That looks like diatoms to me. If you put new gravel on top the same thing will just happen again. How long do you leave your lights on?

Try cutting it down to 6 hours, or off all the time except when feeding or looking at the tank. My guess would be your light is on too long, causing algae.
It might be a good idea to get a timer.

I will try shutting off the light most of the day I am about to put more fish in should I put another algae eater in I have one now.

I would not recommend that. After the algae goes away you'll just have to start feeding wafers. What type of algae eater do you have now?

Back
Top Bottom