What to do in a power outrage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is thunderstorms going on where I live. I want to know what to do for my tanks if the power goes out? I don't have a battery powered air pump, so how long can the fish go without the water being agitated? How long will they be okay for with the filters off? Thanks in advance!

What about the heater though?
How long will tropical fish live in coldwater while the outage cuts the heater.

Yeah forgot all about the heater, days are starting to get colder where I live now too. Storm seems to have blown past so far though so all is good!

Hm forgot about that
Put it close to a window with sunlight. It may start algae blooms but it should work.

And really, three days? I guess I don't have too much to worry about then other then water temperature during the winter.

I have heard people go to lengths to cool their tanks down on hot days, by using bottle water left in freezer, to make a bottle of ice. Then throw that in tank.
So if heater goes, maybe you could pour hot water in bottle, then throw bottle in tank. Not sure if it would work though. And even if it does work, a quick fluctuating temp cause stress the fish.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the temps... they will go down really slowely and as long as they don't get below 70f I think youll be fine.. Its no like the temps are going to go from 80f to 70 in 5 minutes

Back
Top Bottom