What to do when your seahorse is knocked up???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought 4 seahorses on Saturday. Two of them were dance-fighting for about an hour earlier today. I got home @ 10 tonight and the yellow male's pouch was swollen and red. When he hit the light a certain way, I could see eggs in his pouch.
What do I do now???

There was a post about this a few months ago. I believe you will need to set up a separate tank for the fry. Hopefully someone with real life experience can help.

That's funny Kurt.
If you find that post, roka, can you send the link my way. Thanx!

Thanx Roka!! Now I know I'm on the right track.
I have an empty 15 gal I can use. I was thinking BB with a sponge filter and mild air stone for surface aggitation. I was also thinking of throwing in some plastic plants for hiding and anchorage. I'm going to the LFS to see if they can let me borrow a small piece of very mature LR for some pods.
Now for food?? I think I remember reading that rotifers are a staple for SH babies. What about hatching my own Brine shrimp? Can I buy live rotifers? I've heard of bottled live pods.
Realisticly, my chances are slim to none of actually raising them into adulthood. I'm still going to give it my best shot.

I think there is a site called, seahorse.org, they might be able to help you. It sounds like you are on the right track. It would be very informative to keep a journal, so you can share your knowledge/experiences with the rest of us.

Of course I'll keep a journal! I just registered with seahorse.org last night. I have to wait for approval before I can read threads or post. I'll try to get a pic of my prego seahorse.

Here's a pic of Banana in the 2nd day of his term
img_767971_0_0afb8b9cbc52e93cc282b392f174d7e5.jpg

He's the one on the bottom. The black and white one above him is Bella Gray. She's been hanging out with him the past couple days. They were the two that were dacing together. However, Mustang Sally changed colors over the past 2 days, which I read is typical for mating Seahorses. We may have to book with Springer to find out who the baby's mama is :)
I'll try to get some better pics.

I`m already a member at seahorse.com
Hopefully I`ll see you over there. I must have 2 of the same sex as they are not doing anything. In a while I might get two more.

melosu58 said:
I`m already a member at seahorse.com
Hopefully I`ll see you over there. I must have 2 of the same sex as they are not doing anything. In a while I might get two more.

As tempting as it is I am not going to touch that one. :lol:

Pretty cool you already have eggs, keep us posted. I have often thought about a nano system with seahorses of pipe fish.

Good Luck,

I'd point and laugh because finally God found justice for women in Seahorses.

One of the subconscious reasons why I got them, Mycatsdrool. Sweet revenge :twisted:
JK

Back
Top Bottom