what to stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chompsticks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I moved a few months ago and started fresh on my tank. Sadly I had to return all my fish to the LFS since I moved 4 hours away. Now that it is cycled I am debating on what I want to get.

I have a 120 gallon that has mostly large rocks on one end and open space on the other. Right now I have 2 small java ferns.

So far what I have is;
5 Bolivian Rams
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Yoyo loach
4 Rainbowfish

I cannot decide on what else to get. My natural reaction is to get some more rainbow fish, probably 4 turquoise and 4 madagascar rainbows.

But that still leaves my tank quite barren. So then I was thinking about 5-6 Angelfish?

Maybe a school of tetras too?

As far as plants go, I haven't had much luck with live plants, so suggestions there would be great! I know amazon swords would be ideal, but last time I had them they slowly kept shrinking in size.

What are your thoughts and opinions.

And a picture of one of my BRs
photofnb.jpg

I have kept two angels with Bolivians and a Bristlenose all worked out fine, as for Tetra's again Black Widows and Red Phantom Tetra's both in groups of 6+ shared the tank with the above and again no problems.

I would defo get your Angels young as i have had some friends have aggression issues with adding mature angels to a community tank

Another fish that worked out great for me with Bolivians and Angels are Dwarf Gourami's

Awesome thanks for the ideas.

Also wondering are there different types of angelfish? I know their colors vary and everywhere I go they all look the same, but online there are different color

Aside from what's been mentioned, a tank that size would work really nicely for a school of Denison Barbs ... active, graceful, colorful and peaceful. You can go as small as 3 for a school since they are one of the few Barbs that can be in smaller numbers.

I was looking at denison barbs early and would love to get some, but they are quite pricey.

Awesome thanks for the ideas.

Also wondering are there different types of angelfish? I know their colors vary and everywhere I go they all look the same, but online there are different color

I am no authority on Angels, but there are different types but like most fish some species are more common to the aquarium trade, Mine are different colours a male and female not a breeding pair, but they hang out together constantly and are never dull.

Have had them since they were juvenile now they are starting to mature. :)

I am pretty sure the difference in angels are just fin and colour variations brought into play by selective breeding... They will all be fine together... Considering

120 gallons is alot to fill with all those small fish. I would do around 10 rainbows, 4 angels, 8 yoyos, the 5 rams, and around 15 penguins tetras.

I was looking at denison barbs early and would love to get some, but they are quite pricey.

Sometimes Petco / Petsmart / Petland discounts will carry them once in a while ... usually one shipment that they don't restock when it runs out. Yet, when they did, they were sold at a fraction of what you'd find in other LFS's. I bought a juvenile at a Petsmart for round $3.50.

Yea I am thinking I may need more fish to fill the tank. But Angels and rainbows get pretty large. I was debating on getting more Yoyos but I am afraid they might bother the rams to much.

so I was thinking about 6 angels, 10 rainbows, 5 rams, 1 yoyo, 1 bristlenose (might be another type of small pleco) (debating 5 denison barbs or 5 emperor tetras or possibly a larger school)

I currently have 4 rainbows but they are very large and mature since I have had them for two years, only fish that I brought with me from my move. I am afraid they might bully any newer smaller fish that come in especially younger smaller rainbows and the angelfish. Any thoughts on what to do about that?

Okay so I decided on something different and had to return my rainbows to the store because they were too aggressive.

The tank still seems empty... So I was thinking maybe 4 more angels and a 2-4 more Roselines, and yoyos OR a school of Penguin tetras.

Currently stocked with
4 angels (2 died and healthy angels are really hard to find now)
5 Bolivian rams
11 Rummy Nose
5 Roseline sharks (Denison barbs)
1 Bristle nose Pleco
2 yoyo loaches

Back
Top Bottom