What to Use to tie Down Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I have some driftwood that just won't sink!! I've had it soaking for weeks, unfortunately I don't have a pot big enough to boil it.
I have drilled holes in it but not sure what to tie it down. My husband wants to put fish sinkers on it, but I'm worried that the iron will leech into the water.
I would rather not tie it to rocks as it would, at some stage, likely to slip.
Appreciate any ideas...thank you

You could drill a few holes in a small piece of slate then drive some stainless steel screws through the slate and DW. The size of the slate might be dictated by the buoyancy of the DW. The slate can get covered with substrate.

Sometimes you just have to be patient with driftwood. Often a temporary time of the tank looking unsightly is necessary for it to look it's best later on. I know this firsthand because I collected about a dozen pieces of driftwood- taking from 2 months to 5 months to completely sink. During that time I had piled rocks on top of them, stuck them in the sand, anything to hold them down. My tank looked horrible. But it was well worth it in the end!

You could drill a few holes in a small piece of slate then drive some stainless steel screws through the slate and DW. The size of the slate might be dictated by the buoyancy of the DW. The slate can get covered with substrate.

I'm didn't know that stainless steel screws were aquarium safe! EXTREMELY helpful! Thanks

Thanks Ebunny, got a good bit of coral sitting on it, doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Thanks Mebbid, it's interesting how they use super glue to stick plants on things! Didn't think of it for the driftwood. Once it sinks I want to NA able to try it in a few differ places to see where it looks the best, so I will stick with the coral, hopefully won't be much longer, it's been sitting in a bucket of water for goodness knows how long!!

Thanks Ebunny, got a good bit of coral sitting on it, doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Stainless won't rust like steel or zinc plated. I wouldn't use galvanized either with the risk of oxidation. Brass is resistant to oxidation, but I would be hesitant to use it because it contains copper.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom