what type and how many fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon fish tank I have a heater, a air pump and a Bio-wheel power filter penguin 100 for 20gallon tank and a prime conditioner..oh I have a tetra whisper filter 10gallon just in case if I need it ...I want to know what type and how many fish I can put in a 10 gallon aquarium freshwater fish tank ..can I please get advise and I want to do a community tank so that'll be bottm dwelller and top and middle

A small shoal of cories would work for the bottom, a school of some tetra, and maybe a betta ( depends on type of tetra ) or dwarf gourami for a centerpiece could work.

Honestly, most of the fish you commonly see available in stores do not thrive in 10g tanks. It is a pretty small space for a creature to live out its life. If you are willing to look around a bit and find a good store, order online, or ask your local places if they do special orders, you have a ton of very cool options.
Here is a list of nano fish that do well in 10g tanks IMO:
dwarf puffers, Endler's livebearers, ember tetras, green neons, honey gourami, dwarf gourami, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, chili rasbora, dwarf cories (pymaeus, habrosus, or hastatus), pygmy sunfish, least killifish, Norman's lampeyes, clown killifish, dwarf spot rasbora, emerald rasbora, guppies, betta, dwarf anchor catfish, freshwater bumblebee goby, dwarf shrimp, dwarf crayfish, micro crab, platies, and shell dwelling cichlids (multies).
There are others as well, but these are what I though of off the top of my head.
I suggest avoiding any schooling fish that reaches over an inch (which includes most commonly available tetras).

Honestly, most of the fish you commonly see available in stores do not thrive in 10g tanks. It is a pretty small space for a creature to live out its life. If you are willing to look around a bit and find a good store, order online, or ask your local places if they do special orders, you have a ton of very cool options.
Here is a list of nano fish that do well in 10g tanks IMO:
dwarf puffers, Endler's livebearers, ember tetras, green neons, honey gourami, dwarf gourami, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, chili rasbora, dwarf cories (pymaeus, habrosus, or hastatus), pygmy sunfish, least killifish, Norman's lampeyes, clown killifish, dwarf spot rasbora, emerald rasbora, guppies, betta, dwarf anchor catfish, freshwater bumblebee goby, dwarf shrimp, dwarf crayfish, micro crab, platies, and shell dwelling cichlids (multies).
There are others as well, but these are what I though of off the top of my head.
I suggest avoiding any schooling fish that reaches over an inch (which includes most commonly available tetras).

Definitely. 10 gallons is quite small for a community, although it can be done with the fish listed. This might be a nice tank:

1 Honey Gourami
4 Corydoras pygmaeus/habrosus/hastatus (they are all similar, just choose one)
4 endlers OR 7 Chili Rasbora OR 3 Guppies OR 6 Celestial Pearl Danio OR 2 Platies (2 platies is probably not a good idea though)

Definitely. 10 gallons is quite small for a community, although it can be done with the fish listed. This might be a nice tank:

1 Honey Gourami
4 Corydoras pygmaeus/habrosus/hastatus (they are all similar, just choose one)
4 endlers OR 7 Chili Rasbora OR 3 Guppies OR 6 Celestial Pearl Danio OR 2 Platies (2 platies is probably not a good idea though)
I would add that in my experience, more like 6-7 dwarf cories is a good number. They tend to be more shy than their larger counterparts, especially the pygmaeus and hastatus. They have such a small bioload that a few more is beneficial without destroying your water params.

Back
Top Bottom